Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Dyna owners with Memphis shades lowers

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:42 AM
CB1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had the MS lowers I had them mounted to where the gap between my MS fats windshield and the lowers was less than a 1/4 inch. They didn't touch each other but were very close. I had very little buffeting. I would suspect that if the wind is coming from up under, then the gap may be too much. You may want to make sure that you are not getting buffeting from over the windshield. I had a 15 inch MS fats and i looked just over the top of it. Just a thought. I am looking at adding lowers again to the MS batwing I have. I have the lowers that go on the batwing but I think the fork mounted lowers do a better job so gonna try and use both.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
I like your leather shields! Can't really tell if you have one just above the headlight, but that is the area that needs it most. Good stuff!
This will show the leather better..

Attached Thumbnails Calling all Dyna owners with Memphis shades lowers-headlight-leather.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 10:49 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CB1
. I am looking at adding lowers again to the MS batwing I have. I have the lowers that go on the batwing but I think the fork mounted lowers do a better job so gonna try and use both.
Think thats a great idea.. Please post pic's and results..

Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the lowers with the Touring-style HD windshield for over a year and found that
they made a really big improvement in turbulence. I use a fork brace so I had to radius
the lower, inner edge to add a bit of clearance.

Last winter I converted from the windshield to a Batwing using custom mounts with the
HD quick release clamps from the windshield. Yesterday I experimented by removing the
lowers and found (as I expected) that they are still very effective in reducing turbulence
and noise even with the Batwing. I have not tried the "reverse mount" but probably will
do so shortly. If I find that makes a difference, I'll report it.

Photo album HERE..

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23622558

Old 06-22-2011, 01:06 PM
rdmption
Cruiser

Its definitely worth a shot. Are the lowers overlapping the bottom of the shield a little? I was thinking about maybe calling Memphis to check with them about mounting positions and see what they recommend.

Originally Posted by Romeo
Although I have the H-D Touring QD shield, this is how I have my lowers positioned. They are about 1/4" - 3/8" in front of the shield.

No buffeting!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firenailer
Romeo, how was the buffetting with just the Touring windshield alone? And how much improvement did you get with the lowers?
I had the Compact shield first. Buffeting was nasty from 35 MPH and up with that one. It also produced a subsonic rumble that completely drowned out all other sounds. It was a real headache making machine! The Touring shield was a big improvement, but the lowers were a huge improvement! No buffeting at any speed.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdmption
Its definitely worth a shot. Are the lowers overlapping the bottom of the shield a little? I was thinking about maybe calling Memphis to check with them about mounting positions and see what they recommend.
They do overlap just a little, about 3/16" or so.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 PM
rdmption
Cruiser

So.. after riding with the lowers the conventional way as I had posted in the beginning of the thread. I'm attempting to try it out similar to how Bberck mounted his, behind the forks. The only difference is that I mounted them upside down. Instead of following the contour of the bottom of the windshield I flipped them over, as if mounting to a batwing. I'm going to take it for a ride tomorrow and see how it goes. They are approximately 3/4" pasted the bottom of the shield if you look at it from the front and are parallel to the fork from the side, not angled. I'm pretty much trying anything I can think of to see what works best. I'll keep everyone updated, at least whoever is interested. Btw, Romeo I tried to mount them the way you have them, in front of the shield and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me because no way I positioned them put the lowers in front of the shield.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rdmption
So.. after riding with the lowers the conventional way as I had posted in the beginning of the thread. I'm attempting to try it out similar to how Bberck mounted his, behind the forks. The only difference is that I mounted them upside down. Instead of following the contour of the bottom of the windshield I flipped them over, as if mounting to a batwing. I'm going to take it for a ride tomorrow and see how it goes. They are approximately 3/4" pasted the bottom of the shield if you look at it from the front and are parallel to the fork from the side, not angled. I'm pretty much trying anything I can think of to see what works best. I'll keep everyone updated, at least whoever is interested. Btw, Romeo I tried to mount them the way you have them, in front of the shield and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me because no way I positioned them put the lowers in front of the shield.
photos please...

Old 06-29-2011, 11:23 AM
rdmption
Cruiser

The results were relatively similar to the first set up. I took it on the highway 70-80 mph, I'm still getting up draft that does give me a little head-shake, but not as bad as it was with the shield alone. Over the weekend I'm going to try a few more positions and see if the outcome changes. Perhaps if anything I'll wear my horse-racing jockey goggles next time instead of my sunglasses.. to reduce shake. Once again if anyone has any suggestions please provide them. I'm still trying to figure out how Romeo mounted his overlapping the shield.. it seems like the brackets are not long enough and don't angle that way to put the lowers past the shield.

Quick Reply: Calling all Dyna owners with Memphis shades lowers