Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Dyna owners with Memphis shades lowers

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:01 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rdmption
The results were relatively similar to the first set up. I took it on the highway 70-80 mph, I'm still getting up draft that does give me a little head-shake, but not as bad as it was with the shield alone. Over the weekend I'm going to try a few more positions and see if the outcome changes. Perhaps if anything I'll wear my horse-racing jockey goggles next time instead of my sunglasses.. to reduce shake. Once again if anyone has any suggestions please provide them. I'm still trying to figure out how Romeo mounted his overlapping the shield.. it seems like the brackets are not long enough and don't angle that way to put the lowers past the shield.

FWIW, I lowered my windhield to eliminate the headlight gap and the turbulance decreased. I then tilted the windshield forward, things improved some more. Now things seem just right, without any lower shielding, but I'm still waiting for that "perfect" crosswind to prove me wrong.

In certain conditions my mustache used to fly up my nose. Tilting the windshild back caused my eyes to blur from the buffeting. Tilting the shield forward was better, but I still had some turbulance. Lowering the windshield seemed to do the trick. I'm good to 110 MPH with just the shield, half helmet and sunglasses. Probably good for beyond that, but haven't had the stretch to go there yet.

I'm just suggesting to you Memphis Shade lower guys, try reducing the gap over the headlight. It sure works for a plain old windshield!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM
rdmption
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
FWIW, I lowered my windhield to eliminate the headlight gap and the turbulance decreased. I then tilted the windshield forward, things improved some more. Now things seem just right, without any lower shielding, but I'm still waiting for that "perfect" crosswind to prove me wrong.

In certain conditions my mustache used to fly up my nose. Tilting the windshild back caused my eyes to blur from the buffeting. Tilting the shield forward was better, but I still had some turbulance. Lowering the windshield seemed to do the trick. I'm good to 110 MPH with just the shield, half helmet and sunglasses. Probably good for beyond that, but haven't had the stretch to go there yet.

I'm just suggesting to you Memphis Shade lower guys, try reducing the gap over the headlight. It sure works for a plain old windshield!
Currently where it sits its about 1.25"-1.5" above the headlight. My only issue is that if I lower it I'm affaid the majority of the slipstream is not going to have enough height to clear my head and will hitting me square in the face, since its only 14". Also, I don't think the HD shields are angle adjustable. Either way I'll definitely try out your method. In turn I will also bring down the lowers more. How much clearance to do you recommend for the headlight - shield gap? Thanks.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 AM
paws
6th Gear
Default Part Number

Would like to get a set of the Memphis shades lowers for my FXDC 2011, does anyone know the part number?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 AM
rdmption
Cruiser

Originally Posted by paws
Would like to get a set of the Memphis shades lowers for my FXDC 2011, does anyone know the part number?
I tried looking up the part for you but my internet is ridiculously slow.. im splitting the wireless with a network of pc's. Go on jpcycles.com and look up your bike on the left. It will be the same hardware as mine, I think.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:07 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Definitely think I'm gonna get me a set of these before my next trip. I did some evaluating and all the buffetting I'm getting is coming from under my HD QD winsheild and over the top of the tank. For the price it seems like a "must do" for touring.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:46 PM
rdmption
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dsbfxdwg
Definitely think I'm gonna get me a set of these before my next trip. I did some evaluating and all the buffetting I'm getting is coming from under my HD QD winsheild and over the top of the tank. For the price it seems like a "must do" for touring.

for sure. I was a little sceptical at first, but they really do help.. It's just a matter of setting them up right. I'm trying to take the time to test various positions out so folks don't have to. For now I've concluded that they do a good job at moving the wind that causes most of the buffeting away from the troublesome areas, mainly, the tank. I'm getting a little closer to finding the optimum spot day by day. For now I realized that having the sheild overlap the lowers a little bit, roughly, 1/4"-1/2", seems to work well, definitely better than the advertised location: having an 1" gap between the bottom of the shield and the top of the lowers. My next attempt will be mounting them in a non conventional way, concave side forward at approximately a 25-30 degree angle. I'm thinking that it will do a better job at relocating the wind further outward away from my knees and the tank area. The way I have them now is the convex side forward (facing the wind) and i noticed that I like the height of the lowers, but need them to flare the wind out more because if I don't keep my knees tight around the tank the wind gets deflected off of my knees and toward my chest and up to my face. I'll post pictures this weekend along with my results.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:15 PM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

for sure. I was a little sceptical at first, but they really do help.. It's just a matter of setting them up right. I'm trying to take the time to test various positions out so folks don't have to. For now I've concluded that they do a good job at moving the wind that causes most of the buffeting away from the troublesome areas, mainly, the tank. I'm getting a little closer to finding the optimum spot day by day. For now I realized that having the sheild overlap the lowers a little bit, roughly, 1/4"-1/2", seems to work well, definitely better than the advertised location: having an 1" gap between the bottom of the shield and the top of the lowers. My next attempt will be mounting them in a non conventional way, concave side forward at approximately a 25-30 degree angle. I'm thinking that it will do a better job at relocating the wind further outward away from my knees and the tank area. The way I have them now is the convex side forward (facing the wind) and i noticed that I like the height of the lowers, but need them to flare the wind out more because if I don't keep my knees tight around the tank the wind gets deflected off of my knees and toward my chest and up to my face. I'll post pictures this weekend along with my results.
Awesome! Sounds like you are gonna save me a lot of screwin around with these things when I get them. Next trip is the first week of August, and I hope to have them on by then, but have a few other items to get to before I do the lowers.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.... Romeo I tried to mount them the way you have them, in front of the shield and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me because no way I positioned them put the lowers in front of the shield.
Here are some pictures of how I mounted mine:

Old 07-01-2011, 09:37 PM
rdmption
Cruiser

Ahhh, Romeo, now it all makes sense.. from the looks of it the H-D touring shield curves in more at the bottom unlike my H-D compact. No wonder I wasn't able to tuck the shield in under the lowers. Thanks man, I really appreciate the detailed shots.

Anyway.. tomorrow I have a couple of hours before work to screw around with them so I'll post the updates. By the way, very important!, one thing to note about the mounting hardware of Memphis shades is that they are made of a very light aluminum material and don't seem to withstand a lot of taking on and off.. I'm noticing that I'm getting a little bit of thread deposit every time I take the screws out, and I'm super careful every time I install and uninstall the hardware.. So just a heads up do not over tighten and don't screw around with them too much. I already embarked on this journey so i might as well complete it and save everyone the hassle to test for the best location.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

?...I'm noticing that I'm getting a little bit of thread deposit every time I take the screws out, and I'm super careful every time I install and uninstall the hardware.. So just a heads up do not over tighten and don't screw around with them too much.....
Put some anti-seize compound on those screw threads.

Quick Reply: Calling all Dyna owners with Memphis shades lowers