Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Dyna owners with Memphis shades lowers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
rdmption
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Dyna owners with Memphis shades lowers

In an older thread I considered getting Memphis lowers to help with the buffering. I committed to the purchase, but now need advice/suggestions on the optimum mounting position. I mounted them in a traditional manor as advertised on Memphis, but I know there are a few ways you can mount them, I just don't know which is best. This is my set up now.. 14" HD-QD windshield mounted about 1"-1.5" above the headlight and the lowers roughly .5"-.75" between the bottom of the shield and the top of the lowers. I recently returned from a 100 mile trip and was still noticing quite a bit of buffering. If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate them. I heard of positive feedback from riders that reversed the mounts to position the lowers behind the forks thus bringing them closer to the motor.

This is my set up:

Old 06-21-2011, 05:51 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I only used the shield and lowers for a Iron Butt ride but did a lot of testing before it. The best way for me was to have them behind the shield. This eliminated the most buffeting for me.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful with that bag under the windshield. When the forks compress the fender can push the bag upwards, putting stress on the bottom of the shield. You don't want that popping off at 70 mph...

Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 PM
rdmption
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the concern. I don't carry much in the bag so its very malleable and I have a great deal of clearance between the bag and the fender. Maybe the angle of the pictures make it seem otherwise.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I have the H-D Touring QD shield, this is how I have my lowers positioned. They are about 1/4" - 3/8" in front of the shield.

No buffeting!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:04 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This works for me. mounted lowers to shield, comes off & goes on as a single unit.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnR
This works for me. mounted lowers to shield, comes off & goes on as a single unit.

I see you also have your windshield mounted low above the headlight. I don't have the lower shields, but just decreasing that gap, as you did, eliminated about all of my buffeting.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
I see you also have your windshield mounted low above the headlight. I don't have the lower shields, but just decreasing that gap, as you did, eliminated about all of my buffeting.
Thats a Memphis Shades display, I got on e-Bay . I just use it to hang my windshield on the wall when not in use.

I do run my windshield low, but not that low.
The biggest thing that helped me with buffeting was installed a heavy saddle grade piece of leather behind the headlight. You can kind of see it here...

Old 06-22-2011, 01:37 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnR
Thats a Memphis Shades display, I got on e-Bay . I just use it to hang my windshield on the wall when not in use.

I do run my windshield low, but not that low.
The biggest thing that helped me with buffeting was installed a heavy saddle grade piece of leather behind the headlight. You can kind of see it here...

Yeah, the "bike" did look sorta ghostly, but.... I guess I wasn't really paying attention to what I was seeing. Fooled again!

I like your leather shields! Can't really tell if you have one just above the headlight, but that is the area that needs it most. Good stuff!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Romeo, how was the buffetting with just the Touring windshield alone? And how much improvement did you get with the lowers?

Quick Reply: Calling all Dyna owners with Memphis shades lowers