Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need To Tighten the Steering Head...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts
Default How To Tighten the Steering Head?

I recently bought my FXDXI back but the previous owner hasn't found the shop manual to give me so I would appreciate any advice. I'm getting a slight clicking noise coming from the steering head when holding the brake and rocking back and forth. Also the slight handling "looseness" associated with loose bearing preload. To snug up the steering head bearings do I loosen the lower triple tree fork tube bolts, then simply tighten the steering nut on top? Or is there something else I'm missing? Is there a torque figure for the triple tree pinch bolts, or steering head nut? Thanks.

Last edited by Ridewva; 07-29-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:23 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
I recently bought my FXDXI back but the previous owner hasn't found the shop manual to give me so I would appreciate any advice. I'm getting a slight clicking noise coming from the steering head when holding the brake and rocking back and forth. Also the slight handling "looseness" associated with loose bearing preload. To snug up the steering head bearings do I loosen the lower triple tree fork tube bolts, then simply tighten the steering nut on top? Or is there something else I'm missing? Is there a torque figure for the triple tree pinch bolts, or steering head nut? Thanks.
I'm not sure how an 05 is configured...

On my 08 I losen the top nut till it's hanging on by a couple threads. Then I losen the UPPER tree pinch bolts & pull the handel bars up, which pulls the top tree up & away from the star nut.

I'm then able to tighten/losen the front fork stem bearings, slide the top tree back into place, tighten the top nut - then the pinch bolts and preform the 'fall away' test as per the service manual.

Last edited by 08fxdf43202; 07-29-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

You need to take the top nut off to allow you to turn the serrated collars which live under the top triple tree. ...these are the adjusters, sometimes, 2 of them and sometimes only 1. Then slacken the lower triple tree pinch bolts (onto the fork tubes) adjust the collars, tighten it all up and check.

Don't get hung up on fall-away, just make sure there is no slack and it doesn't feel notchy when you turn the bars with the wheel off the ground.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ_Rob (09-28-2016)
Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Thanks much guys, I'll tackle it Sunday.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Conolon Kid
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 06's had a stewering head clunk problem, maybe your bike will fall into that category. They fixed my '06 for nothing.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Conolon Kid
The 06's had a stewering head clunk problem, maybe your bike will fall into that category. They fixed my '06 for nothing.
The forks were enlarged for 06 so I'm guessing the steering head was changed? But thanks, I'll check with the dealer anyway.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Smyln
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 07 streetglide has the same issue. I'm going to have to tackle this soon. keep us posted with your progress, take pictures if you have the time

Old 08-06-2011, 09:37 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Clicking makes me think it might need to be greased. Too bad there is not a grease zerk on Dyna's.

Drew

Old 09-28-2016, 07:29 AM
ABQ_Rob
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, thanks for simplifying what would have been a bunch of annoying hoop-jumping. I followed all the other steps and successfully eliminated the "thunk" from my front end.

Last week I had my local HD dealer do a fork oil change and bushing rebuild in hopes of solving the "thunk". It did not but to be fair to them I didn't ask them to. I followed up with the mechanic. He told me to adjust the steering tube. "Dyna's have a problem with going slack. Don't know why but they're bad about that."

So for all the things Dyna's do GREAT this is one of their few deficiencies.

Thanks for the thread!

Originally Posted by Spanners39
You need to take the top nut off to allow you to turn the serrated collars which live under the top triple tree. ...these are the adjusters, sometimes, 2 of them and sometimes only 1. Then slacken the lower triple tree pinch bolts (onto the fork tubes) adjust the collars, tighten it all up and check.

Don't get hung up on fall-away, just make sure there is no slack and it doesn't feel notchy when you turn the bars with the wheel off the ground.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:35 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Had the same problem click on my 2013 SB . About 2 years ago I just placed some motor oil about the top stem nut and let it leak under the washer. I also placed some oil in the upper and lower dust shield( page 2-73 in 2013 service manual) . Did the trick. Lasted about a year and then had to repeat. Used a syringe and needle. I posted it about a year ago, but it seems that no one noticed. In my case it worked like a charm. I did not have anything loose. As a side note, I had the same thing on my 2005 v rod. We did everything to stop the click, but nothing worked. I just learned to live with it.
Roger

Quick Reply: I Need To Tighten the Steering Head...