Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick remap question on EFI models, is it needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 AM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick remap question on EFI models, is it needed?

I have the stage 1 kit on my 07 SB. I am going back to stock pipes. I was told that a new map was loaded specifically for this setup. Do I need to take it back to the dealer to have it remapped? What kind of cost is there for this change? This is my first EFI bike, im kind of a n00b..

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:39 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess the big question is what type of tuner did they/you use? SE pro tuner, PCIII, PCV, V&H fuel pak, etc. Some tuners like the pcIII are a piggie back which mean they are connected all the time and if disconnected it all goes back to stock so it would be as easy as disconnecting the piggie back unit. Other units like the SE pro tuner and many others re-calibrate the ecu and need to be adjusted when something is changed and it that case you would need a re-tune. If you just have a standard map and its not a custom done on a dyno you could just get another standard map for the new setup, if you have a custom tune you could still go back to a standard map but kind of throughing money out the window if you ask me. Can I ask why your going back to stockers?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the stage one was put on by the dealer, they loaded a Stage I MAP to compensate for higher flow rate. You don't need to change this MAP, it won't hurt anything. Your mpg may drop. If you don't like how it rides, then you can decide if you want to remap and by what method. I would be surprised if you notice any difference.

Dealers often charge over $150 just to remap the ECU.

If the bike was dyno tuned, there is still no need to remap unless you want peak performance, that last 3%... so just ride it and see what you think.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 AM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain

Originally Posted by WG2011
I guess the big question is what type of tuner did they/you use? SE pro tuner, PCIII, PCV, V&H fuel pak, etc. Some tuners like the pcIII are a piggie back which mean they are connected all the time and if disconnected it all goes back to stock so it would be as easy as disconnecting the piggie back unit. Other units like the SE pro tuner and many others re-calibrate the ecu and need to be adjusted when something is changed and it that case you would need a re-tune. If you just have a standard map and its not a custom done on a dyno you could just get another standard map for the new setup, if you have a custom tune you could still go back to a standard map but kind of throughing money out the window if you ask me. Can I ask why your going back to stockers?
----------------

I am unsure of exactly what was done, I am owner 3 of the bike (with 7800 miles). Owner 2 only put about 2k miles on it and had no idea. Owner 1 worked at a HD dealership and I was told by owner 2 it was "done right" so I can only assume its whatever the dealership would do. I will swing by the dealership and if they have any records on hand that would tell me what they actually did to it.

As for why I would go back to stock pipes. The V&H pipes are way to loud for my taste.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you plan of goin gto dealership is your best bet. as The previous poster said you could swap out pipes and leave it alone but it may not run all that great but you could try it and see what you think and go from there.

Originally Posted by VirtualNorm
----------------

I am unsure of exactly what was done, I am owner 3 of the bike (with 7800 miles). Owner 2 only put about 2k miles on it and had no idea. Owner 1 worked at a HD dealership and I was told by owner 2 it was "done right" so I can only assume its whatever the dealership would do. I will swing by the dealership and if they have any records on hand that would tell me what they actually did to it.

As for why I would go back to stock pipes. The V&H pipes are way to loud for my taste.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:05 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

before you go totally back to pipes with stock mufflers you might consider screamin eagle mufflers , they are not very loud at all. Im told they work better than stock by a friend who used them.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:27 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Vance and hines make quiet baffles. I would look into that before you go back to stock pipes.

If the original work was done at the dealer they can pull it up on the computer and tell you exactly what was done.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:50 PM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain

A good call on the quet baffles. I have emailed them for a part number and specifics. I would rather have a 2 into 1, or even stock pipes w/SE slip-ons but we will see. The VH 2 into 2 is not really my style..

Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

sell the vh and get you some 2 into 1's if thats what you like. You will have a deeper, throatier tone and depending on the pipes (I run Bub 7) will still be able to make noise when you want to.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:49 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, if you have the cash, sell the V&H and buy what you want. I don't think you really want to go back to stock though...

Quick Reply: quick remap question on EFI models, is it needed?