Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob vs. Night Train

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 AM
matthewmanuel
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob vs. Night Train

This is my personal experience comparison of my 2007 Street Bob with a 2004 Night Train.

2007 Street Bob Specs:
Forward Controls
Drag Bars
Harley Touring Seat
96 ci. Motor/ 6 speed
Cycle Shack Slipons
Fuel Injected
No windshield
Tall sissy bar with pad

2004 Night Train Specs:
Forward Controls
Harley Touring Seat
Drag Bars
88 ci. Motor/5 speed
Bassani Pro Street Pipes
Carbureted
Memphis Shade windshield
Short sissy bar with pad

Shifting:
The Street Bob is clunky when it comes to shifting. I am guessing this has to do with the forward controls. It takes quite a bit more effort to shift than the Night Train. Any thoughts?

Steering/Cornering:
With the Night Train, it feels like I can take my hands off the grips/bars and ride for miles. With my Street Bob it does not feel this way. I feel like I need to hold on or else. I appreciate any thoughts on this as well?? I liked the stiff steering on the Night Train, it made me more confident with stability but not with cornering.

Forward Controls:
On the Night Train, my legs were jacked 2-3 inches higher, even with forward controls. This made it more difficult to down-shift but for some damn reason ti was more comfortable at highway speeds. I am confused.

Speed/Torque:
The Night Train is touchier, like a Sportster. My Street Bob is smoother, more tame but feels more powerful in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Exhaust:
The Bassani pipes on the Night Train have a nice cackle when you get on it. The Cycle Shack slipons on my Street Bob sound a bit throatier but look nowhere near as cool. They were much cheaper of course. The Bassani's are louder but not by much.

Clutch:
The clutch on the Night Train is WAY stiff. It hurt for the first 10 miles in town. After I got used to it I found it easier to feather than the loose clutch on my Street Bob. My hand no longer hurt after 10-15 miles.

Throttle
My hand went numb off and on all day riding the Night Train. I attribute this to nerves being it is not my bike but I also think it was due to the bars. The bars are much more narrow and further away from the seat. My arms were stretched!

Braking:
The braking on the Night Train is nowhere close to as good as my Street Bob. I actually was a bit nervous coming to several stop lights. I also came into a tight curve on an off ramp and had some trouble with the rear brake. Even though the Street Bob is not dual disc like the Fat Bob I feel the front brake is quite adequate for handling the weight of the bike.

Night Train Windshield:
I know they aren't always favored but man was it easy to do 65 mph on the highway with a windshield. I highly recommend a detachable shield.

Sissy Bars: Tall vs. Short
The wife was scared sh#tless with the short bar on the Night Train. On my Street Bob, with the tall bar, there are times I forget she is back there when puttin' around town. She hated the short bar and missed my bike.

Overall Handling:
The weight of these two bikes is nearly the same however I felt the Night Train felt more balanced at a stop, especially two up. I am not sure if the steering and balance have anything to do with the difference in fork rake and front tire size (Night Train rake: 32 degrees, tire size 21 inches - Street Bob rake: 29 degrees, front tire size: 19 inches) but it was noticeable. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Summary:
It was a great day of riding in Iowa yesterday! 65 degrees with a few clouds here and there. I am fortunate enough to have a friend who will lend me his Night Train now and then. I missed my Street Bob, however. The differences are somewhat major for me personally. If I can figure out how to get more stability with steering and more comfort with my pegs on the highway I can see no reason to ever get rid of the Street Bob until I trade up to to Touring in several years.

Again, I appreciate any insight you may have regarding my aforementioned concerns. I am still very new to riding.

Thanks all!

Matthew

2004 Night Train

2007 Street Bob

Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

some of your comments seemed pretty subjective, as I think some of the components you mentioned are the same between the two bikes?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive put 1000 miles on my grandads fatboy in the last 6 months and ive put almost 30k on my street bob since i purchased it.

The softy is a smooth ride for straight-aways or hwy use. But id never own one & i cant get over the sloppy swing arm design on the softails.

When i ride the fatboy i feel like im sitting on top of it. Unlike my dyna i feel like im sitting in it...

For my its a dyna hands down.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 PM
perryross
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Matthewmanuel
Good review.
I’ve put approx 18,000 miles on a 07 Street Bob and a 09 Night Train.
As a solo rider I enjoyed both of them. I now have a FLD with 500 miles
on it, yep back to a Dyna. Without going into all the particulars the FLD
seems to give me the best of both worlds between my two previous HD’s.
JMO.
Name:  07to09.jpg
Views: 5125
Size:  122.9 KB

Last edited by perryross; 02-10-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:19 PM
stev0n
Road Master

I did a side by side comparison of my 08 fxd to my buddy's 08 night train this summer.

FXD
96 w/ xieds (stock pipes/ac at the time)
C&C sport tour seat
2" extended forwards
santee bonanza II ape hangers
night train
96 w/ big radius 2in2/heavy breather/fuel pack
badlander seat
stock forwards
drag bars (he now has the same hangers as I do)

Power/Speed
FXD in every gear

Handling
FXD in every situation

Stability
Night train at low speed (probably rake/200 rear tire)
FXD anything over 40 mph

Braking
Seemed fairly even

Comfort
FXD all the way! Probably the C&C/bars/extended forwards. But I was cramped bad on the night train.

After the tests. He wanted a c&c seat, extended forwards, & hangers (he has the santee as well now). I wanted a 200 rear and maybe(big MAYBE) some more rake, but mostly just wanted my fxd back!

I still think the night train is the best looking harley, But i will give up the better looks in my opinion for my dyna.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

if you want your dyna to handle better there are many options. Better shocks and front end springs are a start. True-Track is a sponsor here and many forum users really like there stuff . Sputhe makes a similar setup that is slightly different. Different bars and correct tire pressure and neck bearing adjustment all help the handling. I love my streetbob but I always ride solo. harley stock suspension components will work for awhile but there are many far better products .

Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

----------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-03-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Shovelhed
Tourer

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Yeah, my buddy let me ride his night train too. His is an 07. I was perfectly content cruising around on my shovel, no worries. Until I got my *** on a 96c.i. 6 speed. Well........you see what I ended up with. Nuff said.
Same here! I had my shov for 12 years until I just happened to get talked into a test ride on an '07 SB. Lol

Old 10-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

---------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-03-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

Real men ride Dynas!

Quick Reply: Street Bob vs. Night Train