Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Vibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:03 PM
GuardianX
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011 dyna fat bob

I made a shim for the front mount because i didnt want to play around with washers, I made it a little longer than the mount so i could hold it while re installing the bolts and the true track. My issue was vibration going over 100 kph and at 130 it was like i needed a 7th gear, lower rpm to smooth it out. an unbalanced engine with poor mounting. Rubber mounts are designed to have positive pressure on them not negative and thats the reason for the shim.

The second thing i did was add a true track, These are truly the second and third missing links. After installing them i now get a slight vibration in the pegs at almost all speeds but its minor and is due to the fact that there is now a frame to engine contact via the true track. Good trade off imo

The result.......

I can do 170 k with very little vibration
the throttle actually feels more responsive
chirps when agressively gearing down (this due to less engine in frame movement)
no more flat tire feeling
no more frame twisting feel when cornering while hitting a bump and doesnt feel like i am starting to go into a high speed wobble.
Corners i wouldnt do more than 90 i am now doing at 120

Note; I removed my slip ons to facilitate the install of the rear true track, The instructions say you must install the clip on the rear mount, I didnt see one

Old 06-16-2013, 02:46 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by N3LsToNe
Its a Harley
maybe theeses guys cant remember its a Harley vtwin, the old brittish bikes vibrated that much you could see the front wheel dancing at idle,,,

Old 12-14-2015, 12:48 PM
dtwowhtwow
2nd Gear

I have a 2010 Dyna Super Glide, just bought with 1800 miles on it. Bike looks great, everything looks right but it vibrates very bad. I'm coming off a 2005 Sporty XL1200 thinking the Dyna would be much smoother but it's much worse than my Sporty. I understand idle vibration but it vibrates all thru speeds and as another poster noted, that when letting off the throttle it rattles like going over speed ridges.
Hopefully this is not normal.
Advice?

Old 12-14-2015, 03:21 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Zombie thread, back from the dead I keed, I keed...

When you say 'rattle' under decel is it a shudder going through the bike? If it's a shudder I'd check your front isolator, it's not about mileage but time. My '13 sat on the dealer's floor for a year before I bought her and the front isolator was distorted and contacting the engine bracket transferring vibrations through the bike with 0.4 miles on it. I changed out the isolator, performed the engine/vehicle alignment and needed to shim my isolator to keep it from being under stress and distorting the rubber; my Wide Glide has been boringly smooth ever since

This is the monster front isolator/shimming thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...today-wow.html

HD had a service bulletin on the Dyna vibration issue in May 2012, give it a read and inspect your front isolator to determine if it's collapsing:

Edited to add: I completely forgot I had this image, this is my front isolator on my WG right after the install and alignment, you can see how much was needed to shim it out to keep the mount from being placed under stress and failing again:

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 12-14-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:44 PM
dtwowhtwow
2nd Gear

Yes it's a shudder, especially harsh when I let off the throttle. When I clutch it, it will smooth out until I engage the gear again. And it never really smooths out at higher rpm's, past idle.
Thanks for the reply and info.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:43 PM
HD_Matt
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dtwowhtwow
Yes it's a shudder, especially harsh when I let off the throttle. When I clutch it, it will smooth out until I engage the gear again. And it never really smooths out at higher rpm's, past idle.
My 2008 fxd shuttered horribly at certain rpms, I don't know how the previous owner didn't try to fix the issue but anyways I ended up using 3 washers and longer engine mount bolts to "fill the gap" and now it feels much better.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:17 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

My 2003 FXWG had some minor vibration issues and the 2014 low rider I just picked up seems to as well. I been riding HD since 70's so I know normal and abnormal vibration. Im not thrilled with a bike that has 4500 miles and vibrates ie shudders way to much but its winter so time to check it out. I know there was a big recall of 2014 LR for motor mount issue You would think after all these years and issues they HD would fix it once for all.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:31 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like they have said above check you're motor mounts. Mine vibrated too until after I changed the front mount now things are much smoother.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:10 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dtwowhtwow
Worst on decel? That definitely points to lack of clearance at the top of the motor mount, as described in Tin Cup's post. On decel, the front of the engine is pushed down.

When I clearanced mine as in the service bulletin, my problem totally went away.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:13 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

i have a vibratecnics / predator mount used for sale if someone wants it
will make a good deal

Quick Reply: Dyna Vibration Problem