Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter replacement advice

I'm getting ready to change the starter in my '09 Low Rider. The manual doesn't say anything about having to remove the primary. But I've read articles saying this must be done for replacement. Anybody with an '09 who hasn't had to remove the primary? And, any gaskets needed for this project?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:53 PM
BC45
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know if the Dayna is diferant then the touring modles but when I changed my starter on my 09FLHTCU I did not have to remove the primary,My new starter came with a new O ring on the nose of the starter,The only thing to watch out for would be the 2 alignment dowls that are in the inner primary tend to come out and fall down on the belt and drive gear.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If I recall correctly, you have to remove the primary cover to remove the pinion gear ... but, I do not believe the whole primary has to be removed ....

... what is the cause for needing to replace the starter ...?

About a year ago, I thought I might need to replace mine ... it didn't have enough grunt to turn over my motor in cold weather ... until I installed compression releases ....

I had been thinking I might just get a higher output starter ... never did ... just recently someone was telling me that although the starters have greater power to turn over the motor they draw more current and run the battery down that much faster ...

... did not investigate the veracity of that statement to independently verify whether it is a legitimate assertion or whether the dude was full of BS ....

R/
'Chop

Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
About a year ago, I thought I might need to replace mine ... it didn't have enough grunt to turn over my motor in cold weather ... until I installed compression releases ....

I had been thinking I might just get a higher output starter ... never did ... just recently someone was telling me that although the starters have greater power to turn over the motor they draw more current and run the battery down that much faster ...

... did not investigate the veracity of that statement to independently verify whether it is a legitimate assertion or whether the dude was full of BS ....

R/
'Chop
I'd love to have a compression release. But I don't have the tools or experience to do machining for the install, and as much as I hate to say it, I do not trust either of the local H-D shops up here to do it based on friends experiences. One reason I'm putting in the 1.4 is so it will start RATHER than kill my battery. I'm also getting the grinding at start up so now is the time to do it.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Is the top end of your motor stock ...? If so, you shouldn't need compression releases ... the stock compression ratio is only 9.2:1 ...

Not sure why your starter would be grinding at start up ... If the starter does not come with a pinion gear, I'd be sure to get a new one ... also check the ring gear on your clutch basket for wear ...

I am wondering if maybe you just need to replace the starter clutch ... not too hard from what I understand ....

In my case, I had done a big bore kit that raised the compression ratio to around 9.8:1 ... and on top of that I had installed a belt drive ...

At first it had not occurred to me the (cumulative) impact of the differences ... the new system had a different starter gear ratio (9:66 vice stock 10:102) and the belt drive also changed the primary drive ratio (1.51 vice stock 1.44) ... these two changes conspired to make the starter turn over the motor at 618 RPM vice the stock setup that turned the motor over at 423 RPM (with starter motor turning at its rated 3000 RPM) ... with the additional compression it put my bike at a point where in cold weather (under around 45*) the thing would run the battery down really fast and not start ...

In addition to compression releases, I also got a new, higher output battery ... a Big Boar 350 amp battery ....

I think your first question should be what is affecting the load on your starter ... unless you have done some significant motor modification or something ....

R/
'Chop

Old 03-05-2012, 02:54 PM
BC45
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JT-FXDL
I'm getting ready to change the starter in my '09 Low Rider. The manual doesn't say anything about having to remove the primary. But I've read articles saying this must be done for replacement. Anybody with an '09 who hasn't had to remove the primary? And, any gaskets needed for this project?

Does yourmanule show a picture of the starter? or can you look in the parts manual at a picture. My 09 FLHTCU the starter/drvie/clutch is all housed in the ctarter nose like any auto starter is. So primary did not have to be opened up like earlier years to release the clutch.
But like I said I dont know if the 09 Dayna's arer the same as the 09 touring module.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BC45
Does yourmanule show a picture of the starter? or can you look in the parts manual at a picture. My 09 FLHTCU the starter/drvie/clutch is all housed in the ctarter nose like any auto starter is. So primary did not have to be opened up like earlier years to release the clutch.
But like I said I dont know if the 09 Dayna's arer the same as the 09 touring module.
There's no picture in the manual, only a description of how to do that. It doesn't mention anything about opening the primary, but it does mention the two dowels in the inner primary housing, so it sounds similar to yours. But after reading about people changing their starter and having to remove the primary cover, I just wanted to make sure before jumping in. But it sounds like I'm good, and do not have to remove that cover. Thanks.