Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 FI Super Glide Sputtering Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:08 AM
darkcvc
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 06 FI Super Glide Sputtering Question

So I just got done with my rebuild on the bike, painting most everything.

After a few days, the bike started sputtering at low rpm's. Between 2500 and 3000 rpms, it sounds like the throttle body closes mid drive and cuts off the engine for a split second. I had the gas tank off for paint, and there was sand in it from the sandblasting, but I thought I got it all out. there is no check engine code. It is a fuel injected bike.

Money is super tight right now, and my truck blew a brake line, so I have 2 vehicles under repair right now, and little to no money at the moment to fix them.

I consulted the manual, and eliminated some possibilities in the trouble shooting under the category "Starts but runs irregularly and misses". Most of the other troubleshooting would require buying parts to see if they fix it, which I cannot afford to do right now.

If anyone could help figure this out, that would be awesome. I could maybe take a video of the bike cutting out if that may help.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2012, 05:21 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Several ideas come to mind. First check for any trouble codes. Second since you stated the tank was sand blasted you might have a clogged fuel filter. Third the fuel line in the tank has been known to rub on the inside of the tank and develop pin wholes. Drop the gas level as low as you can in the tank and while the bike is running look inside the tank and if gas is spraying then you have a whole(s) in the internal fuel line. If that is the case someone recently did a write up on the repair using an aftermarket submersible fuel line instead of the more expensive HD replacement.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 PM
darkcvc
Tourer

Dropped in a new fuel filter yesterday. It was filthy, but the bike is still sputtering.

The line in the fuel tank was free of holes.

Some of the paint from under the gasket had come off and found it's way into the tank, could something else be getting clogged up from debris that is choking out the fuel pump?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master

I would pull the spark plugs and check them. Could be fouled. I would also check for a good spark as well. Next would be the injectors. Try running some injector cleaner as well. Others have posted about Seafoam and how well it works. Have you checked the battery cables? Make sure they are tight at both ends. A bad ground can cause all kinds of headaches.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM
darkcvc
Tourer

Thanks for the replies!!

I checked the spark before, they were a little nasty but I cleaned them up. That is probably my next step on the list to just replace them, since they are only a few bucks.

I checked all the battery cables when I got the bike back together, but I will double check them since you never know. My bike is always on the trickle charger when parked, and its all the way charged now.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change the plugs as suggested and run some seafoam through it.

You mentioned it was sputtering but under what condition, ie... when under load, or when hard core accererating, or no load coasting. My guess would be since your filter was clogged, it is still some sort of fuel starvation. You are talking about the filter in the tank on bottom of pump, not some external line filter?? If nothing else turns up , check that filter again, may still have enough crud in tank to have plugged the new filter. Strange you haven't seen a code. Have you went through the diagnostics on speedometer. May have code in history just not currently active so no indication unless looking through the history.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which injectors do you have - 8* or 25*?

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/download...jectorswap.pdf

Old 04-03-2012, 12:07 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master

As others have stated you might still have a fuel issue since the old filter was nasty looking. You did mention that the plugs were not in the best of shape. Pop a new set of plugs in as that is cheap and quick to do. Hopefully it will turn out to be the plugs and you can put this to bed already...Goid luck and keep us informed.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 AM
darkcvc
Tourer

Originally Posted by DocDyna
You mentioned it was sputtering but under what condition, ie... when under load, or when hard core accererating, or no load coasting. My guess would be since your filter was clogged, it is still some sort of fuel starvation. You are talking about the filter in the tank on bottom of pump, not some external line filter?? If nothing else turns up , check that filter again, may still have enough crud in tank to have plugged the new filter. Strange you haven't seen a code. Have you went through the diagnostics on speedometer. May have code in history just not currently active so no indication unless looking through the history.
It is mostly from 0-3000 rpms, and at idle. It will cut off at a stoplight if I dont rev it up.

I plan on replacing the spark plugs and doing an oil change this week, if that doesn't help then I will run some code history and check out the fuel filter again.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:08 AM
darkcvc
Tourer

Originally Posted by icecaps
Which injectors do you have - 8* or 25*?

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/download...jectorswap.pdf
I have no clue. I doubt that would be the problem with 17,000 miles on the bike.

Quick Reply: 06 FI Super Glide Sputtering Question