Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Lo rear brakes...AAAHHHH!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Madcow
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 06 Lo rear brakes...AAAHHHH!

I need some help with my rear brakes. I have a 06 LR. When the bike is parked there is good rear brake pedal. As soon as I roll the bike back or forward there is no pedal (or brakes), with or without the engine running. I have bled the brakes several times. The fluid has been completely changed using DOT 4. There is no air in the system and I cannot find ANY leaks.

Why is the brake pedal hard when it just sits there, but nothing when the bike is moving??? I have ridden the bike (still have front brakes) but those rears have saved my asterisk several times.

I have sweated over this problem for two weeks now and cannot figure what the (expletive deleted) is wrong.

The only thing I can think of at this time is to remove the master cylinder and see if there is a plunger gasket problem.

Please help, daylight is wasting.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Madcow
Novice

With the wealth of knowledge out there nobody can tell me what the problem is here?

Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

When you say hard brake do you mean normal or no movement, then when you move the bike does the pedal go all the way down like there is no pressure, answers to these questions might help others help you.

Did you check for kinks in the lines , mostly the metal lines/

Old 09-16-2012, 08:31 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Brakes going to the floor, only thing I ever heard of causeing that is air. Even if your rotor was broken there would be pressure on the pedal. Sorry I can't help , bleed them some more.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by maddghost
Brakes going to the floor, only thing I ever heard of causeing that is air. Even if your rotor was broken there would be pressure on the pedal. Sorry I can't help , bleed them some more.
Yep if you have no line pressure and the pedal is going to the floor (easily) and not braking you have air in the lines still. You will just have to keep pumping and release the bleeder. But one tip if you are not doing this properly. Pump the pedal 3-4 times and hold the pedal down (easier to do with two people), release the bleeder and hear the air seep out. Keep the pedal down do not release it while the bleeder screw is open (if you do you will suck air back into the line). Close the bleeder and repeat until you have no air in the lines and pedal pressure is returned to normal.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Panimal
Cruiser

I use a vacuum brake bleeder. Mighty-Vac is what I use, I'm sure there are others. I let it vac the fluid & air out but you need to make sure you keep the mastercylinder full of fluid. It sounds like air in the line to me. Sometimes it can be really hard to get it all out. It could possibly be your mastercylinder, but if it was pushing by that easily, you would probably be leaking brake fluid at the mastercylinder plunger boot.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Symptom leads to air still in system. Other thoughts: my '03LR uses DOT 5 fluid. Pedal adjustment correct? The only moving parts 'to' the MC are the pedal, and the rod....nothing 'loose' in the pedal, rod or MC mounting? Pads not worn past 1.02mm material above the backing-plate? When you are working on this: bike leaning on Jiffy stand or straight-up on lift or chock? If I understand what you are saying: static pedal height/action is ok, but when you are on the bike and moving, pedal freeplay increases but braking action is still good?
Trying to help a little.....

Old 09-16-2012, 12:29 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Your master cylinder could also be bad.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Wireguided
Road Master

First of all Which master are you trying to bleed ?
I am not trying to be a dick just wondering if your bleeding the correct one.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Madcow
Novice

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
When you say hard brake do you mean normal or no movement, then when you move the bike does the pedal go all the way down like there is no pressure, answers to these questions might help others help you.

Did you check for kinks in the lines , mostly the metal lines/

The rear brake pedal goes all the way down, no braking. There are no kinks, except for me.

Quick Reply: 06 Lo rear brakes...AAAHHHH!