Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freshened up '93 FXRS-CON need some ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:36 AM
Lonesome Dove
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freshened up '93 FXRS-CON need some ideas.

So I just finished up a complete tear down, clean up and repaint of my '93 Low Rider Convertible. It hasn't been a convertible for about the last 15 years or so as the included bags sucked and the windshield cracked and gave up the ghost so I've been bug driving for the past decade or so.

So this was the bike a couple years before the rehab. It looked okay from a distance, but had a lot of nasty spots due to being in the tropics for most of it's life. The engine and frame were particularly nasty. I would spray bomb the engine with bbq paint once in awhile just to make it presentable for a little while.

So after tearing it completely down I painted up the engine, frame and numerous parts. A lot of work, but I think it turned out pretty good. Just hoping it lasts. It was painted with a single stage Dupont Centari paint. I read a few places that it works for engines. Time will tell. I've had it running well up to temperature and so far it hasn't burst into flames so I hope that's a good sign. I only polished the edge of the fins on the heads and left the rest. At little lazy ya, but I'm sure it would have taken an extra day or so to do for what I see a little benefit. I like the contrast the way it is at the moment.

I also did the tins with a black base with a red pearl intercoat. Gives it more of a red metallic look, but altogether not bad. Doesn't show up in the photos unfortunately.

The main areas I want to address are the handlebars and the console. The handlebars cause I've gotten to like the apes on my recently acquired heritage and the FXRS just doesn't feel right any more. Does anyone have any ideas on handlebars. One of the big issues is the air storage for the front shocks so just not any bar can be used without changing out the front shocks I'm thinking.

With regards to the dash. I've pulled off the horrible crap plastic black insert that could never get clean and am looking for something to replace it with something else. I was thinking either a leather type panel or maybe paint it black with a little pinstriping/airbrush design. At the moment it's a little too chromy. Haven't really seen any customs stuff.

The other thing I want to do is add a little color to the tins. They look okay but just seem to be lacking something as I didn't replace the decal. I could maybe so some pinstriping also on them or else maybe do the vinyl sticker thing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm still not sure if I will keep the bike or sell it or ??? I have the '96 Heritage which I like a lot, but it's definitely a lot slower and less nimble compared to the FXRS.

Thanks for looking and for any suggestions you may have.

Aaron

Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Trouble is when you ask this kind of question everyone's got different ideas on what looks good, when I had an FXR I went with a wide glide front end ( a definite no no for some people ) which was raked out to 32% drag bars, forward foot controls and a duck *** rear fender, as well as the usual pipes, derby cover etc as far as your bikes concerned personally I'd get rid of the floor boards, sissy bar, handle bar leather dangally things and the Live to Ride Ride to Live air cover, but that's just me, it's really down to you and what you like, nice bike though.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:25 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My first Harley was a brand new '89 FXRS-CONV, black with red pinstripe, virtually identical to yours. Of all the bikes I've owned, I would want to have that one back. Handling was sensational. So I think it would be crazy to change the front end, or the bars, whose comfort fit me to a T. This bike was Eric Buell's master stroke. Are you really sure you want to screw up the handling on Harley's best handling bike?

The tank dash would benefit from a custom made black leather bib.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Can't say I had a problem with the handling after I altered the front end of mine, the guy who bought it from the dealer I sold it to had been after an FXR for sometime and after seeing mine and ridden it thought it was the best he'd seen and bought it.