Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

induction module removal HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM
ericj205
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default induction module removal HELP!

I have a '07 FXDL and a shop manual.

I broke the lower exhaust manifold stud off nearly flush and I am in the process of removing the front cylinder head so I can take it to machine shop for stud removal/replacement.

The manual says to remove the induction module in order to get the head off. Do I need to remove it completely or just remove the two flange bolts (1/4" allen socket heads)? What is the best tool and method to get those bolts out? Its really tight in there and nearly impossible to get a normal tool in there.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a ball end allen made just for getting to these bolts for the manifold. Otherwise cut down a regular allen and be ready to be there for a while.
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p2346/...heting-wrench/

It seems that taking out the manifold bolts on the head that you are removing would be enough but I am not certain.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:47 PM
sideshow bob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just done the same job so yes you need a long ball end allen for the air filter side and a cut down standard for the other size.....and to make sure you dont have to do the job ever again when you put it all back together again use brass manifold nuts on the exhaust studs bought from a classic car shop and they won't seize up again.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 PM
ericj205
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies

Update... i took a craftsman offset screwdriver out of my misc extra tool box and ground the phillips end off flat. The body of the wrench happened to be 1/4" hex so it worked perfect. I had to cut about an inch off the other end to clear the frame and get another "flat" as I turned it but it worked fine. Turns out I only need to remove the bolts, not the entire module just to remove the cylinder head. The flange flexes enough to lift the cylinder head off.

Attached Thumbnails induction module removal HELP!-craftsman.jpg   induction module removal HELP!-craftsman2.jpg