Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pink Letter???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:50 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pink Letter???

I am now convinced that I need to fight it out with Harley and the dealership that I bought my 2006 Wideglide from. I bought it over the summer with 5000 miles on it. It came with a 90 day warranty. I didn't think I needed an extended warranty so I didn't buy one.
2 months ago I started reading about all the issues with the IPB and the compensator cup screws backing out and destroying the rotor. I called 3 local dealerships and they all told me that they aren't aware of any issues. I told them about the infamous PINK LETTER that was sent out in the beginning of 2006 and was discontinued by mid 2006. They told me they aren't aware of a PINK LETTER but they did remember the IPB was part of the scheduled maintenance on the 2006 Dyna and that Harley stopped including it in their maintenance program by mid 2006. Does anybody have a copy of this infamous PINK LETTER so that I could bring it down to my dealership and plead my case?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

From another thread:

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
Your stator/rotor replacement is going to be coming from your wallet. While there have been LOTS of issues, haven't seen any acceptance from Harley.

The Inner Primary Bearing is up in the air. The Moco first created an amendment to the owners manual stating they would change the bearing as part of scheduled maintenance every 15,000 miles. They then issued a letter staing it was no longer needed. How easy it is to have it covered depends on your dealer.

The are several guys on here who had the bearing changed upon its first failure, and the bearing, tranny case, and inner primary case changed on the second failure, all on the MoCo's dime.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:27 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for posting the letter. At least I know that the service manager I spoke to was telling me the truth. He said they came out with the IPB notification and then sent out a letter saying it was no longer necessary to inspect or replace it.
Just curious.. how could a letter like this help me if I am not having any issues with my IPB? My bike only has 6000 miles on it. I suppose saving it for when I do have a problem is the answer.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i have done 4 of these for local guys that have fought with HD to repair them.. no luck... to be honest i would not want HD to do it, as i upgraded to the baker IPB when i did mine. i would suggest you do the same. if your local i am more than happy to help you out!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
rhoderider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand. Didn't you post about the same issue under the topic of "Stator Question"? I thought you talked to several dealerships and concluded you weren't going to worry about it unless it became a problem. I also thought that you couldn't be happier with your dealer that you bought the bike from. Now you want to fight it out with them and your bike has yet to suffer any problems? What changed? Like I said I just don't understand your current post.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

What are you going to fight it out about? Have you had any problems with your bike? I am confused...

Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't get it either. You bought a 6 year old USED bike. You said they gave a 90 day warrenty...most of the time used vehicles are sold "as is". What do you think they are gonna do for you?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,786 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
I am now convinced that I need to fight it out with Harley and the dealership that I bought my 2006 Wideglide from. I bought it over the summer with 5000 miles on it. It came with a 90 day warranty. I didn't think I needed an extended warranty so I didn't buy one.
2 months ago I started reading about all the issues with the IPB and the compensator cup screws backing out and destroying the rotor. I called 3 local dealerships and they all told me that they aren't aware of any issues. I told them about the infamous PINK LETTER that was sent out in the beginning of 2006 and was discontinued by mid 2006. They told me they aren't aware of a PINK LETTER but they did remember the IPB was part of the scheduled maintenance on the 2006 Dyna and that Harley stopped including it in their maintenance program by mid 2006. Does anybody have a copy of this infamous PINK LETTER so that I could bring it down to my dealership and plead my case?
don't sweat the inner primary bearing unless and when you hear *the sound*.

then and only then will you need to *fight it out* with Harley.

in the other thread you say.........
Originally Posted by jgcable

I have only put 600 miles on the bike since I bought it.
ride the machine, when it breaks, fix it.

bought my 006 FXDi in Nov 005.

been ridin with the pedal on the bellhousing since day one.

no issues with the inner primary bearing.

rotor did let go. that was inevitable.

as I stated in the other thread, your machine may have already been *updated*.

...... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...with-pics.html

Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ride it like you can fix it. When it breaks fix it. You dont have a leg to stand on until it breaks.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If you think that the dealer is going to try to fix a problem that hasn't appeared on your bike under warranty you are going to be disappointed. Ride the bike and if and when it breaks then fix it. And stay off the Internet.

Quick Reply: Pink Letter???