Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Commander II tread life (looking for info)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Michelin Commander II tread life (looking for info)

So a lot of people were putting on Michelin Commander II's last year around March and April. We were all curious about the tread life and how many miles we could get out of them on our Dynas, but I haven't found any posts that have been updated with numbers.

Anyone out there still running their Commanders? How many miles have you been able to put on them so far? Performance reports?

I put one on my rear wheel, haven't done the front yet but I also haven't been riding much due to other life issues. I'm finally starting to get back on the bike and want to start planning my front tire replacement, so I'm looking for information.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 AM
fxdc rider
Tourer

love mine, only have 2000 miles on them so far but they still look new. my bike rides like its on rails compared to stock tires, excelent grip.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 AM
FXRProblemChild
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sold 3 rear tires one to a guy who has a FLHX who normally gets about 8-10k out of the metzler 880s and he is got 9-10 out of the commander 2. He said in the wet conditions it was not as good as the 880s he had been running. The other was to a guy who rides a dyna and ruins a pirelli nightdragon or metzler in 5-6k he got closer 7k out of the commander 2 but complained the whole time saying it did not hookup as good at the strip (I knew that though) and said it was harder to stop and in the curves it did not feel as safe. The tire seems to have a very hard compound.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I just recently switched over to Commander II's, and I have to echo FXR ProblemChild's remarks about them. They are a little squirrely in the rain, in straight line and on curves. On dry ground they hook up a lot better then stock Dunlops. I'm real tempted to drop the air pressure a few pounds to see if that helps in foul weather.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM
No Name Motorcycle Shop
Banned

The feedback that I've gotten is guys have been running the air pressure a little higher than the stock Dunlops and this has helped w/ the wet condition performance. I have yet to get anyone put enough miles on them to see about total mileage. I've sold them mostly to baggers and a couple of softails.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM
gerGmaI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my opinon on the Michelin Commander II tires.

I have right at 4000 miles on my Commander II's and they hardly look worn at all. I like the way they handle a lot better than the dumbflops.

I believe these tires have a slightly more rounded profile that the dumbflops, but I have much less tracking problems(almost none!) with them than the stockers, and I feel that they grip much better in the twisties.

I haven't ridden in any rain worthy of having an opinion on that part yet.

I run them at 30 lbs front, 38 lbs rear, solo.

All miles on these tires were ridden solo. The mileage will probably be less if riding with a passenger all the time.

All in all, I'm very happy and I'll probably buy them again when the time comes.

I don't have a tire depth gauge, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night..., so here are some photos of a penny in the tires at 4000 miles.

Rear Tire is first photo,

Front tire,

Last edited by gerGmaI; 10-02-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Update posted last September:

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Tire thread depth new (06/14/2012) was: 11/32"

Tire thread depth (09/26/2012) after 5.119 km (3,180 miles): 7/32"

Assuming I have to change the tyre at 2/32" thread depth, it will wear 9/32".

Expected mileage calculation:

If 4/32" = 3,180 miles,
than 9/32" = (9/32" : 4/32") x 3,180 miles) = 7,155 miles (11.514 km)

This expected result is a lot less than the 11,702 miles I got out of my Dunlop K591 150/80 B16 rear tire!

I'll keep you posted.....

Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gerGmaI
Here is my opinon on the Michelin Commander II tires.

I have right at 4000 miles on my Commander II's and they hardly look worn at all. I like the way they handle a lot better than the dumbflops.

I believe these tires have a slightly more rounded profile that the dumbflops, but I have much less tracking problems(almost none!) with them than the stockers, and I feel that they grip much better in the twisties.

I haven't ridden in any rain worthy of having an opinion on that part yet.

I run them at 36 lbs front, 38 lbs rear, solo.
I have less than 1,000 on mine and run at 38 / 40 but I agree with these comments.

Compared to Dunlops, I find the Michelins to have better over all grip, "track" road snakes, grooves, etc. less,
and just generally feel better. I've had no significant wet road experience with them so dunno about that..

Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

All owners of the MC II's talk about the mileage they are getting on these very hard tires. As with most things there are tradeoff's with tires, more grip = less mileage & less grip = more mileage. For me, I have less than 5,000 on mine and I am looking to replace these and go back to the Dunlop 402's. The MC II's are hard, they do not grip in the corners, and I don't care if they last longer my hide is worth trading tire life for more grip.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM
slvrbck33
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered trying them out, but it's hard after running the Night Dragons.

I am wary about the grip. Mileage is awesome, but I like a sticky tire.

Quick Reply: Michelin Commander II tread life (looking for info)