Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy bar from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM
WhiskeyHarley
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sissy bar from scratch

Hey guys, looking to make a sissy bar from scratch. I'm a welder, so the fab is no problem, but what im tryin' to figure out is a way to quick-detach it like i see on alotta other ones. I don't have one to go off of, so I guess im wondering what hardware I could use on my struts (I don't use the covers) to make it go on and off easy. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 PM
WhiskeyHarley
Advanced

I guess I should rephrase: I'm trying to find a set of quick detach side plates, so when I'm not using the sissy bar, I can remove the side plates with ease. I thought I found some, but I don't understand how they go on/off without like jacking up the bike and unbolting the fender.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you can always make a plate to fit the fender struts bolts. Get some bolts that is 1/4inch longer or so. Cut a slot on the front bolt for the mount making it forward, toward the engine. On the back bolt make the slot downward. This way it can slide in toward the engine and down on the rear just by losing the bolts. You may want to add washers between or spacers to keep from scratching the fender strut. I have made a lot of these, pretty simple and easy to make. You can either use square thick wall tubing or solid round rods. Weld or bolt together. If you are wanting a luggage rack you can take care of that at the same time.
I make most of my stuff like this. Cost less and I can do it like I want.
powder coat or chrome.
I use 1/4 sheet cold roll

Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Nbdzhro
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get the mounting hardware at the dealer. For my Fat Bob it was only $30. 4 longer bolts and bushings with a plastic bushing grooved to accept the side plates. They also sell the cams that help lock the plates down.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

If you buy the HD detachable kit as mentioned in the post above, make your side plates out of 1/8" steel. Then you will need to fabricate some kind of lock on them which is easy to make. A simply piece of 3/8" steel cut to fit the mount is what you need. I have several of these with a bolt and a small spot welded on the bracket to prevent rolling.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:55 PM
WhiskeyHarley
Advanced

Cool I was trying to find a "raw" set of side plates so I could powder coat them, didn't see the point in paying for chrome just to coat over it