Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 PM
tattoowho
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble

So I was heading home from work today. It was nice out , so I took the long way home. Opened up to around 75 and it started to wobble. More like rock, from right to left, pretty freaking scary. I've had this bike for a couple of months and put a few hundred miles on it and this is the first time this has happened. It was windy today, but it's not the first windy day I rode. I have a 96 Dyna Convertible, it only has 5800 miles on it. The windshield that's on it is a replacement, not original. SO could that have been the cause? It did clear up further down the road. It's a road that I've been on many times before on my last bike with no issues, so I don;t know what that could have had to do with it. Any ideas on what I should check. I looked around and saw nothing that looked out of place. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

If the road had high berms of bunds either side it could be the cause....there is a section of HWY 1 that I ride regulalry and the bunds knock the wind about making it a real pain to ride through even when not particularly windy.

Also, try taking any balance weights off the front wheel and see if this makes a difference.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM
tattoowho
Intermediate

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:51 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also you may have already thrown a balance weight, causing your front wheel to wobble, look for evidence of that.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of things can do that from time to time. Wind drag of the windshield, or even big coats, or jackets can sometimes give you a bit of a sway at high speeds. Then of course, road conditions and tire pressure etc... I'm sure all is fine.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There are a lot that can cause this.
Bad tires, cupped tires, low tire pressure, neck bearings need adjusted, road condition, etc...
I would consider to checking for normal wear items first and check it on a different highway that is in better shape.
Just ride and see if it does it again.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM
tattoowho
Intermediate

I checked the bike out, everything seemed to look good, so I took a ride and had no problems. I'm definitely going to be cautious for awhile yet, but so for I'm going to blame it on the windy conditions. Thank again for the replies.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 PM
tattoowho
Intermediate

Ok, at the suggestion of a friend, I jacked my bike up and tried moving the rear end to check the swing arm. I notice some movement from side to side. It wasntn't much, but I didn't think it should move at all. So, does this mean I need to replace the bearing and or bushing's? Or is some movement normal? Thanks.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:48 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 370 Posts

Rear swingarm is connected to your tranny. So it has some play.

Check your tire pressure. Then check your neck bearings. Try tp get it to wobble again and see what speed. If you can pin point speeds. It may help solve the problem

Old 03-30-2013, 10:57 PM
tattoowho
Intermediate

Well that's good to know. I have noticed a slight wobble since, but I switched lane position ans it stopped, tire pressure is good. I guess I have to adjust to the ride. My last bike was a VTX and heavier, so I didn't have much movement. Thank you for posting.

Quick Reply: Wobble