Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SGC in for repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 AM
buzzard53
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question SGC in for repair

Yesterday my 09 Super Glide developed a loud "clunK" sound whenever I rode over a rough spot in the road. Sounded like the exhaust or engine was hitting the frame, noise was more pronounced as rear wheel hit the rough spot. Definate metal on metal impact sound.
Service guy first jumped on the bike while sitting in the service entrance and pushed down of the front forks and proclaimed the head bearings just head adjustment. I replied ya maybe, but you take it on a test ride while I wait then tell me what you think. So 5 minutes later he returns and says something is really wrong!! Will have to put it up on the lift to see whats going on. So looking to get a call back Monday or Tuesday
I'm thinking motor mounts. Anyone have a similar problem??
Thanks
Buzzard

Old 03-17-2013, 12:19 PM
BLK107
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem on my wide glide. Only when going over moderate to heavy bumps right? Checked over some things on my bike and it turned out that the fuel tank mounting bolts were loose. Front and rear bolts...

Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 PM
dpprSoup
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah - had the same problem with my 08 SGC. Took it to the dealer where they put duct tape around wiring harness under tank console. Clunk still there' so I tightened the tank hold down bolts about a half turn. Clunk disappeared. Love the bike, good luck.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 PM
buzzard53
Intermediate

Guys, your ID of the gas tank bolts was spot on. Greensboro HD just confirmed that was the problem. At first they were not sure but road test proves all is fixed.
Never had a tank come loose on any other scoot, but this one sure made a hell of a racket when it was bouncing around. Will for sure keep an eye on the bolts and periodically retighten if/when needed.
BTW they made sure wire bundle was secured and adjusted head bearing tension. Acceptable for the $ 45.00 charge.

Buzzard

Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me, except mine was self inflicted. I loosened the rear tank bolts to raise the front of the tank to install a tank lift, and forgot to retighten the rear bolts.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup,same here,just something else to put a wrench on and make sure it's tight.Although mine was discovered on a road trip and I was scared to death the front end was going to fall apart before I got her home.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 PM
buzzard53
Intermediate

Same, here. Wife and I suited up for a good long ride and after hitting the first major bump in the road I thought the engine/frame were going to fall apart. That tank hitting the frame transmits sound all the way down to the end of the exhaust pipes.
I really thought I was in jeopary riding easy just to get the bike to the dealer.