Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel light flashing/ red light on console is on

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:30 PM
cw383ta
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel light flashing/ red light on console is on

I had an issue the other day while we were out riding, and i'm curious if anyone else has experienced the same issue. After about 50 miles or so, the fuel gauge quit working and the light went out. On the console, the low fuel light was flashing and the display read "low range". I knew that couldn't be true since I filled up before we set out for our ride. Also there is some red light that came on at the same time, its right in the middle of the speedo. I pulled over in a parking lot and turned the bike off. Everything went back to normal, no funky lights or messages. I have not ridden it since due to crappy mid-west weather. The bike is a 2012 wideglide with 4200 miles. Any ideas?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Wide Glide 25
Cruiser

I'm guessing the red light may have been the security light. Sounds like an issue with the ecm. I'd run it and if it happens again take it to your dealer. Unless theres a code to read they likely won't be able to determine anything.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Dyna7
Tourer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick question, did you relocate you turn signals at all? cut any wires?
Bc (someone correct me if I am wrong) if so, you sent an error code to the ecm (by not turning the emergency switch on the bike to off )
this just happened to me as I relocated my rear signals about 2 months ago
low rng on the fuel, fuel guage quit working, and thee ecm light came on
had to take it to the dealer to get reset

Last edited by Dyna7; 03-19-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM
cw383ta
Novice

Thanks for the responses! I have not done any rewiring or relocate the rurn signals. Wg25, im on the same page as you. Run it and if it does it again, take it to the dealer

Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

I would check it out with the dealer to make sure nothing is going on...you still under warranty?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 PM
cw383ta
Novice

Tampakingpin I would check it out with the dealer to make sure nothing is going on...you still under warranty?

kingpin, yes i'm still under warranty. I called the dealer and have an appointment to take it in tomorrow. I'll let you all know what, if any, they find.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:40 PM
cw383ta
Novice

Ok, so i got the problem figured out, with no help from the dealer. I took the bike into the dealer to have them check out the electrical system, and they found that everything to be functioning normally.
So yesterday, my buddy and I were out riding and the low fuel light and red light on the console started flashing again. I pulled over and shut it off and restarted it. Same thing, lights flashing. My buddy stopped and told me that i had no driving or brake lights working. Hmmmm...
I installed H-Ds chopped fender edge light shortly after i bought the bike(over a year ago). I remover the seat and unplugged the edge light. Guess what? It was fixed. I wanted to make sure that was the problem. I used a test light and probed the wires to the light. Park/run was ok no problems. AFter holding the brake for a few seconds, all the brake lights and run lights quit working. The circuit board on the brake side shorted out. I called H-D to inquire about a warranty on the light and of cousre, there is no warranty. At least i got it fixed!
Fuel light flashing/ red light on console is on-photo-1-.jpg

Old 03-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats just what I was going to say. I messed around with my lighting wires when I removed my taillight, and had the red light of ominous doom come on. Turned out there was a short in the wiring. Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:46 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cw383ta
Ok, so i got the problem figured out, with no help from the dealer. I took the bike into the dealer to have them check out the electrical system, and they found that everything to be functioning normally.
So yesterday, my buddy and I were out riding and the low fuel light and red light on the console started flashing again. I pulled over and shut it off and restarted it. Same thing, lights flashing. My buddy stopped and told me that i had no driving or brake lights working. Hmmmm...
I installed H-Ds chopped fender edge light shortly after i bought the bike(over a year ago). I remover the seat and unplugged the edge light. Guess what? It was fixed. I wanted to make sure that was the problem. I used a test light and probed the wires to the light. Park/run was ok no problems. AFter holding the brake for a few seconds, all the brake lights and run lights quit working. The circuit board on the brake side shorted out. I called H-D to inquire about a warranty on the light and of cousre, there is no warranty. At least i got it fixed!
Attachment 306947
Not as simple as having got some water in there?

Might be worth giving it all a good spray with WD40 before paying for a replacement.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Arroyo083
Stage III

What do you mean "by not turning the emergency switch off"? I'm having this problem of the gas light and electrical light flashing but the blinkers came off two years ago. Idk why these lights started coming on?

Bc (someone correct me if I am wrong) if so, you sent an error code to the ecm (by not turning the emergency switch on the bike to off )