Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for a narow Full face helmet ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 AM
Bbbadboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking for a narow Full face helmet ?

Ok so my Carbon Outlaw half helmet is cool but the wind noise drives me crazy and I can't drive over 75 mph without my lid trying to fly off. Most full face helmets touch my forehead and the very back of my head. I know there are helmets out there for narrow heads. But I'm not finding much around town. Which means I need to start ordering and shipping helmets back and forth. Ouch. Help !!!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

the best advice I can give is keep trying on helmets until you find one that fits properly, When you find one that finally fits check online prices before getting reamed at the counter. The chances are when you find a brand that fits your noggin the mold size they use on their different models will be sized the same.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 AM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Arai profile and all shark helmets are narrow. www.webbikeworld.com for very good helmet reviews.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I wish I could remember the website where they have all the indepth videos on helmets, but if you go Aria there are helmets made for your shape and the fit charts are pretty spot on. I bought my full face on Ebay using this info and it fits nice, $500 retail - $200 on Ebay. Plus the nicer hemets have the ability to adjust the fit by pulling out some of the padding. Just my thought, if you are between sizes, I would go larger - they tend to want you to run tight for safety but for a Harley I don't want headaches either.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Rynb15
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go on youtube and look up revzillatv. they have hundreds of helmet reviews. good luck in the search. I have bought so many helmets over the years.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rynb15
go on youtube and look up revzillatv. they have hundreds of helmet reviews. good luck in the search. I have bought so many helmets over the years.
That's the site, +1 on this

Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Bbbadboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cool thanks.

Ya that chart is helpful. Thanks

Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM
condition1
Advanced

Sounds like you have the exact same issue with helmets that I do. I have a narrow head and get pressure points on the front and the back even if the sides are a little loose. I've tried several helmets over the past couple of years, here's my experience with each.

Bell Full Face - Sz M - I'm not sure exactly what model of helmet it is but I do know it's one of their cheaper helmets and I got it in flat black. To be honest this is probably the most comfortable helmet I have. It is snug all around and doesn't move at all when riding. Unfortunately I really only picked this up for riding in cold weather and hate wearing it in the summer. I just don't like full face helmets, my preference.

Vega XTS - Sz M - Fairly low profile DOT half helmet. Sat real high when I first got it and bad pressure points on the front and back of my head. I eventually used the handle end of a large screw driver to dent in some of the foam on the helmet in the front and back and that made it feel way better. Didn't take a lot but made a big difference, so much so that this ended up being my go to helmet for a couple summers. Still though it does give a bit of the mushroom head look and it is looser on the sides than I would like. I have to really strap it down tight and sometimes it still rides up at high speeds or the metal clasp on the strap digs into my jawbone.

Harley Half Helmet - Sz M - Not sure the exact model or how different they actually are aside from aesthetics . This particular one was matte black with a little skull. Honestly it was kind of a impulse buy and I first I thought this was the one for me. It felt great all around, no pressure points, snug around the sides. It wasn't until I purchased it and took it home that I realized this wasn't the helmet for me. First off it is heavy, really heavy. Heavy helmets get on my nerves after a while riding. Secondly, and I know this shouldn't really matter, but it looks like total ****. The thing is huge and gives the most ridiculous mushroom head. I've never actually worn this helmet on a bike and will probably be putting it in the classifieds at some point as it is basically brand new.

Outlaw Carbon Fiber Slim DOT - Sz M - I really just bought this helmet for looks and the hope that it would help at least a little in a minor impact. I knew from the start that there was no way this thing was actually DOT. Well it wasn't that comfortable either, at least not with my head. It was light but I did get a bit of a pressure point at the front which I was able to round out with the screwdriver method. Sides still loose and at highway speeds there was nothing I could do to keep it from floating back on my head. It's almost like they put the chin strap back just a little bit to far, didn't matter how tight I made the damn thing. Thankfully this helmet was recalled so I am getting a full refund instead of adding another helmet I'll never wear to my pile.

Lick's 3/4 NovDot - Sz L - This helmet may be the one. I'm not 100% sold yet but it's close. Very light and I honestly don't think it looks as bad as pretty much all of the DOT half helmets I've seen. Same as with most it was just a tad too tight front and back but sides were a little loose. No way I could have went with the medium though. I smoothed out the front and it is pretty comfortable now. Unfortunately I just haven't had enough time to ride with this yet. On a short trip with no visor it seemed pretty comfortable and didn't seem to move around a lot under highway speeds even with the sides being a little looser than I'd like. I think the fact that it goes down further in the back than a half helps hold it in place. My second, and much longer ride, with this helmet was when it was getting pretty cold here and I had a bubble shield on the thing. That made me reconsider the helmet all together as it was noisy and seemed to blow around much more, looking around to change lanes was a huge pain in the *** and I hate feeling restricted when I ride. I hope that was just the shields fault and that without the shield it is as comfortable as it has so far seemed to be.

So there's my experience with helmets from the past couple years. I swear I really want to ride with a helmet but most of the time I end up not wearing one at all since I hate being uncomfortable and it ends up just ruining the entire experience for me. I'm looking forward to trying the Lick's NovDot some more this season and if it doesn't work out I may pick up one of Daytona's 3/4 helmets. I've read some reviews that say it is the exact same thing as the Licks but I've also had people recommend it to me over the Licks since supposedly they are narrower. No really way to know other than try one out and I figure since I'm getting refunded for the outlaw might as well give it a try. I may also try one of Harley's "hybrid" half helmets. They still look big and shitty but my one riding buddy got one last year and it is light. If I could find one that fit the way my other Harley one did but was half the weight it might be a winner.

Good luck finding a helmet that fits, I hope this helps just a little. Trust me I know your pain.

Oh, and one last thing. Ear plugs. I started wearing them 2 summers ago and can't believe I waited that long to do so. Helmet or not, if I know I'm going to be traveling at a high rate of speed for any length of time the ear plugs go in. You won't believe how much of a difference in makes in cutting down rider fatigue plus it helps save your hearing.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 PM
condition1
Advanced

HAHA.... All that and I just realized that your thread title specifically requested info on Full Face Helmets.

If you're interested I can try to get the model of the Bell I have as it does fit well even with me suffering from narrow head syndrome.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tfalcon
Arai profile and all shark helmets are narrow. www.webbikeworld.com for very good helmet reviews.
So true.

Quick Reply: looking for a narow Full face helmet ?