Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride After Dyno Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 PM
werewolf45auto
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Ride After Dyno Questions

Ok so I have a question or two that I would gladly ask my mechanic but he is closed until tuesday and I'm not about to skip riding for two days when I just went 3 days without riding.

So I had 2-2 big radius pipes for about the last 1k miles. I just had my mechanic add the HD Screaming eagle heavy breather, a tuner and dyne the bike. My thoughts and concerns are as fallows. It vibrates less, the bike feels much smother shifting and just riding. It does not sound as throaty and loud now. It's more like the sport bikes I've road. My biggest concern or just plane curiosity when i'm in the middle-high rpm's of any gear and i give it a little throttle it sounds like a snack hissing in my gas tank. Also it seems like i hear the lifters. So I would ask is any of this typical or expected or experienced by any of you with similar mods.

Just an FYI i'm now at 85.2 HP

Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What year and what engine?

It kinda sounds like you have a pin hole leak or a bad o ring inside the fuel tank.
Does it seem a little hotter as well?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The heavy breather makes noise, especially when rolling on the throttle in the midrange. Guarantee that's what you're hearing. It would definitely sound weird if you're not used to running an open air filter.

If there was a hole in a fuel line you'd most likely only hear it when the pump primes. It's very hard to hear with the bike running, nevermind going down the road on the throttle.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 AM
b2inUT
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

I noticed a hiss like that soon as I installed my big sucker. Kinda thought it was cool that I could hear that big sucker sucking big.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

What is a "snack hissing" sound. Is that like Pesshi in the snickers commercial?

Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM
werewolf45auto
5th Gear

It’s a 07’ FXDC with the 96” motor.

Yeah I wondered if it was the heavy breather. I questioned it just because it didn’t sound like it was coming from one side or the other but very centered. I don’t hear all that great as it is though. On my ride into work this morning (30 miles of highway) the bike is defiantly quieter then pre breather and dyno. I’m probably just not use to hearing the other parts of the bike.

This morning I’m just chopping it up to being over paranoid about my bike. I stole this bike for a great price but I’ve had a few set backs and put another 3k+ or so into it.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:53 PM
werewolf45auto
5th Gear

Originally Posted by aces&8s
What is a "snack hissing" sound. Is that like Pesshi in the snickers commercial?
yeah snake is what i meant. If any of my snacks ever hiss at me i'm going for my gun and then the bbq.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a coupe bikes do this after installing a real open air cleaner....,I agree with the others that your hiss is likely the breather breathing.

All Harley's sound like sewing machines......the drive train noise is normal and if you have done any mods that changed pressure or pulse back to the engine or quieted it in some way than you may notice the drive train noise more. I'd check with the service guy but I'd ride it to be sure. Sounds normal to me.

Oh and if the noisy drive train is more tan you can bear , louder pipes and a qt of Lucas oil treatment for HD motorcycles ( available from autozone) helps quite things down considerably.

Peace.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

My bet is it's the air filter (I call it the Hoover Vac sound...I hate it) No way you are hearing the gas tank over the air filter and exhaust.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:10 PM
werewolf45auto
5th Gear

Sounds good! I'm just going to assume its the air cleaner and keep riding it. I have to go by his shop on Wednesday to pick my old parts. Silly wife forgot to get the old parts when you picked up the bike for me. She rules though! I got the call that the bike was done yesterday afternoon while i was at work. She go the neighbor to whatch the kids and the other neighbor to give her a ride there just so I could have my bike back asap.