Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike runs like a bag of doodoo sometimes - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 03:32 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Bike runs like a bag of doodoo sometimes - any ideas?

Bike is a 2007 Dyna with injection, recently it has started running like a bag of **** then comes right, the other day it started idling really fast but after alittle while it returned to normal idle speed, called into a dealer near by who said because it was a hot day it might have affected it, thought yeah ok, maybe, but seeing as the bike had started running right again left it at that.

Then the next time I rode it I was coming to a red light changing down through the gears and the engine cut out so pulled over turned the ignition off and back on and started it up again, thought thats weird now with two issues in two rides. Bike ran ok for the rest of the day.

Then today it started to sound like it wanted to cut out again coming to a stop so reved it to keep it going and each time i backed off the throttle it popped, cracked and back fired, after keeping the revs up for a little while it started to come right, and eventually got it home to my driveway where it started to idle but slower than normal.

No recent mods or changes to anything other than had it at the dealer last week for oil change filter and check plugs, clean aircleaner etc, so I wonder if it could be related to anyhting they may have accidently done or is the EFI or something failing?

Dont want to be caught miles away from home with a dead bike so any ideas as to what it could be would be helpful, could an air leak cause it run like a bag of arseholes?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:38 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

This may or may not help..Good reading though.http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_heat_00.htm

Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 AM
johnnyjellybean
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be checking all ground connections, testing for proper fuel delivery. Could also be a faulty sensor

Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HrdNox
This may or may not help..Good reading though.http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_heat_00.htm

Thanks for the suggestion and worth the read but unrelated really as it was not particularly hot today and I was moving freely down the road so airflow was good, unless jellybeans suggestion is causing the bike to think its overheating due to faulty sensor.

Just went out and started the bike up and it seems to be running normally at the moment so who knows ?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be in-tank fuel line leak, clogged pickup sock, or clogged fuel filter. How many miles on it? Have the in-tank filters ever been changed? If you do that, I would just swap out the lines while I was in there

Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior

Bikes got between 15,000 and 16,000 k/s on it so around 10,000 miles dont know if tank filters have been done previously but i havent doen them and have done 5,000k/s since i have owned it.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,203 Likes on 12,881 Posts

I've had the same thing happen a few times and didn't do anything or consult a dealer. Basically I'm of the opinion it's a design flaw and the slightest glitch or loss of signal to the ecm causes the damn thing to get dazed and confused,lol. Like I said it's happened 4-5 times and once I shut it off and restart it runs fine. With that said I can't remember it happening when the bike was bone stock. I'm running Rinehart slipons and a K&N air filter with Nightrider xieds and don't plan on changing anything or going to a dealer.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have the Harley repair guide for your bike?

Some of the EFI systems on Harleys were known to give issues, not sure what type is used on your ride.

BUT, the first thing I'd do is pull the plugs, read them and put a fresh set in.

If you have throttle by wire on your ride it sound like the sensor needs cleaning.

If you do not have a tuner on it then it could be the stock ignition module failing. There are many aftermarket "tuners" / ignition modules that give improved performance.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 AM
osb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the bike went out drinking last night and is hungover. Give it a day to recover.

haha =)

I think everyone has covered all the things I would look at, give it a whirl and keep up posted.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
ktrick01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bad spark plug wire can cause a lot of trouble like this. It's always the last thing to check too.

Quick Reply: Bike runs like a bag of doodoo sometimes - any ideas?