Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike runs like a bag of doodoo sometimes - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
This is the part I was mentioning that goes bad with the throttle by wire systems.

From some of the other suggestions and your last reply I would consider taking the ground lead off the battery for several minutes to clear the computer and then hook it back up. Also a corroded connection at the battery or where the main cables connect the ground to either the starter or frame, and the positive to the solenoid can give issues.

Hope you find the issue on your own and are back on the road soon.
Ive changed mine 5 times in 5 years. I even keep one in the tool box.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Just alittle update, doubt it is a fuel filter/blockage type issue as it first started giving trouble as running too fast, ie wouldnt idle slow and was idling alot higher than 1,000rpms, (more like 2,000rpms) almost like a stuck throttle which is what i thought it was at first. Then developed the popping wanting to stall and back firing symptoms.

Today I checked plug leads, battery leads and all other wiring that might be related and all seemed ok, went for about a 50 mile ride but took it alittle easier than usual, bike seemed to run ok no problems except alittle more back fire on decel than i remember, perhaps it is an exhaust leak so will run some spanners over pipes tomorrow and see if that remedies that.

Anyway thanks for suggestions and I will keep checking stuff.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Still having issues with high idle and engine running fast until bike comes to a complete stop, selecting neutral or holding in the clutch has no effect when it starts running/idling fast, bike must come to a complete stop and then the idle speed will return to normal.

So it seems the problem lies with Air Speed Sensor, or Idle Air Controller (IAC) and after researching seems it is a common fault on 07 models.

Some recommend cleaning EFI unit with carb cleaner but ultimately it seems Air Speed Sensor, IAC or Throttle Position Sensor need replacing.

Problem is intermittent so can live with it alittle longer but will eventually hit the local dealer to have them sort it.

So for others who may have this problem here is where the issue seems to be.

Common fault like this should really have been a manufacturers recall especially as it involves the throttle and high engine speed, it could be dangerous and as their manual says often, could result in injury or death. But guess really they just don't give a fukk. So Harley = No Fukks Given !

Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanuki
Some recommend cleaning EFI unit with carb cleaner but ultimately it seems Air Speed Sensor, IAC or Throttle Position Sensor need replacing.
Carb cleaner works, but there is throttle body cleaner which is less harmful to your TB. My problem was much like yours except the high idle. I only had to clean it out once or twice back in '09 and it has always worked since.