Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running fat tires on stock FXD trees...possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:42 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Running fat tires on stock FXD trees...possible?

As some of you may already know, I wrecked my bike a few weeks ago, and I need to replace my front end. It is a 2005 Dyna FXD [Super Glide]

The bike had a front end that was not stock (probably Wide Glide of Softail, I can't tell the difference) and I was running a bobber style front tire on a 16'' rim. (Yokohama MT 90-16)

Here's a pic of how it looked:

So these are the questions:

1.) I want to repeat the formula, and I was wondering if a stock FXD front end might hold a 16'' rim or if I have to get a Wide Glide front end to make it work.

2.) Also, I'm getting the front end (triple trees and forks) from eBay, are there any other sites I can get them from?

3.) I'm thinking of a Demon Cycle Wide Glide front end; however, they list several options (factory stock, +2 over stock, +4 over stock, +2 over stock with 3° rake...)
Which one should I choose? I'm thinking of a 0 over stock and 0° rake (factory) since that one shouldn't affect the ground clearance of the frame itself at all.

Feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you very much for your time!

Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Pretty sure stock "narrow glide" front end won't work, had a bike with a 110/90 - 19 tyre on and it rubbed.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

really? Ok, the Wide Glide front end it is. (If I put the apes back it'll look better with a Wide Glide front end too)

Now, I have to figure out which Wide Glide front end is the best for me. Inches over stock, rake, etc...

Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 AM
GETRICKD
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check this out

my 97 road king had 90s. I wanted the tires to fill out the fenders more. Asked around pretty much was told no. I heard everything from need different wheels, change brake cals, sproket, rear shocks, I just started checking and measuring my clearences. Then looked for tires compairing specs. dunlop MU85/16 is a little fatter and a little taller. They look much better and ride great.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Well yeah, touring models have a 16'' rim at the front, which allows for thicker tires (up to 150mm if I'm not mistaken. That's what I want for mine. The thing is, I don't want a front end that'll put too much distance between the tire and the bike. I believe fat tires look better closer to the bike, and vice versa.