Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing bolt/fastener next to transmission assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 AM
chieftainblackbear
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing bolt/fastener next to transmission assembly?

Hello,

I recently installed a Supertrapp 2:1 Supermegs exhaust on my 2010 FXDB Street Bob. When I removed the stock rear exhaust bracket it contained 2 bolts that went into the transmission assembly and a fastener just to the left. When I went to put on the Supertrapp muffler support bracket it only contained 2 fasteners that went into the transmission assembly leaving a hole where the previous fastener went. I thought maybe I just needed to put the orignal stock fastener back in, but it was too long and stuck out. I tried looking online but all the pictures I see look to have a fastener plugging up that hole.

Anyone have any ideas? Can I just leave it open or is there a fastener or plug I should put in there? It seemed like that hole is only there for the stock muffler bracket, but I could be totally wrong...wouldn't be suprising as I'm pretty new to working on my HD

Attached are two pictures: stock bracket with the 3 bolts and the Supertrapp bracket that only covers 2 holes leaving a hole open.

UPDATE: This is what I got back from Supertrapp:

I have confirmed this with our Engineers, that is a blind hole that does not serve any other function other than for the stock exhaust bracket.
So you could leave it empty, get a smaller screw, or use a washer with your current screw. The washer should take up the difference without the stock bracket.

Use the two black holes. The silver hole is the blind hole.
I'm going to run to the hardware store and get a different bolt.

Attached Thumbnails Missing bolt/fastener next to transmission assembly?-oem.jpg   Missing bolt/fastener next to transmission assembly?-supertrapp.jpg  

Last edited by chieftainblackbear; 04-08-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:43 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

A little surprising such a nice pipe doesn't include a plastic plug or an appropriately sized bolt to fill the unused mounting hole.
For sure you don't want to leave it exposed to moisture and dirt, so go to your local hardware store and get yourself one of the above and cover it.
~

Old 04-08-2013, 04:42 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If I remember, I just used a stock bolt with a spacer, thanks for the reminder, I'm gonna get a black, shorter bolt.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM
chieftainblackbear
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.