Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is it so slow??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 PM
sgmfiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is it so slow??

I have a '06 wide glide, 88ci with a six speed. I have bags and a National Cycle Sportshield EX on it and that's it. The bike starts and runs great, it just runs out of steam at 90 to 95 mph in 6th gear. I'm not sure whether the fact that I weigh in at about 235 is a factor or not. Maybe I should try to top out in 5th gear, I don't know. I had a '85 FXR that was 80ci and I know it would run faster. Does anyone have any ideas on this . In the wind.

Pops

Old 04-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Slow is a relative term, but I would consider running out of power at 90+ mph pretty normal, especially for a stock 88. I don't spend a lot of time at those speeds, but maybe try it again in 5th.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can "Cam it", maybe some SE 255's and get more out of the top end. But, the fact of the matter is; the way it sits, that's about all it's worth!

I have a '06 FXDi (Super Glide) W/ stage 1. That is; a SE air intake kit w/ V&H big guns (staggered) exhaust, a remap of the ECM and, a set of "Trick" heads and I can get 118 MPH out of 6th gear (Flat Out)(Yes,...I Broke the magic)!

The bike will do almost as good in 5th as it does in 6th......But, here's the fact of the matter, IMO....

You are expecting too much out of your bike. Enjoy it for what it is. I'll cruise all-day long at 80-85 MPH and arrive in good shape! Knowing full well that I can do that the next day....and, the next day.... You get what I mean?

With performance....You give up reliability to some degree. Either that.....or, You end up drivin' around like a "Mad man" angry at the world to run you bike the way you built it to run...

Can they (HD's) do it? Sure! Is it worth it? You decide....I'm 230 Lbs...My bike has close to 140K mi. on it and it's still on the origional bottom end in the engine and the origional primary and clutch and, I'd have no problem riding it from Georgia to Sturgis tomorrow if I wanted to.

Just sayin'....

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Last edited by Harley Tim; 04-19-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Becaus I can
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

You are running out of torque.
The sixth gear is just stacked on top of the 5 speed that already existed. Harley did not re-gear the transmission. They just added sixth on top.

Drop down to fifth and make your run. By 100 you will be out of steam anyway. Bags, windshield and 235 lbs is a lot to push.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:46 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

definitely you will lose more power in 6th. Stay in 5th until you reach your desired level of vibration. Even my 96" will only give 110 or 115, and less now that I have the 103" on it.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:49 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The windshield has a lot to do with it, the weight too, but to a lesser extent.

100 MPH with the apes on my bike is fun for about 3 seconds.

BTW, the SE255 is the wrong cam for high end power. I have it and love it, but it's made for torque and doesn't produce a lot at high revs.

On the plus side, it has a really flat torque curve that starts early with a lot of *****.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:49 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Faster

Lose the billboard windshield...it will make a big difference. If you have apes on the bike that would be strike 2.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:58 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
100 MPH with the apes on my bike is fun for about 3 seconds.

BTW, the SE255 is the wrong cam for high end power. I have it and love it, but it's made for torque and doesn't produce a lot at high revs.

On the plus side, it has a really flat torque curve that starts early with a lot of *****.
I found that out the first time I opened her up to see how much I'd get with the new upgrades....disappointment!
It is however nice to 4200 rpm which is where most of the fun is. But I wish they had told me that before the build, I could have chosen another cam. She can still do about 118 top end, but that's it. I used to get more out of her, but the lower end makes up for that, and like you said high speed is fun for 10 or 20 seconds, I don't have apes! lol

Last edited by maddghost; 04-19-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:12 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
I found that out the first time I opened her up to see how much I'd get with the new upgrades....disappointment!
It is however nice to 4200 rpm which is where most of the fun is. But I wish they had told me that before the build, I could have chosen another cam. She can still do about 118 top end, but that's it. I used to get more out of her, but the lower end makes up for that, and like you said high speed is fun for 10 or 20 seconds, I don't have apes! lol
I did a lot of research. I also bucked a lot of the nay sayers who think cams can only equal HP. There are a lot of great cams out there that produce high revving HP, The SE255 just isn't one of them. There are several that provide a good balance between Tq and HP too (The Feuling Reaper lineup is really good.)

I'm not at all disappointed in the SE255, but I knew what I was getting into.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 PM
sgmfiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback. It makes me feel better to realize that I'm probably getting the best out of it that I can expect. You are right in saying that 100+ mph wears a person out real fast. The only thing I have realy done to the bike is have the alternator rotor bolts welded so it should last quit a while, well as long as I will probably ride anyway. At 73 I just had to make one more fast run and I guess 95 was fast enough for old people anyway. Again, thanks for the input. In the wind.

Pops

Quick Reply: Why is it so slow??