Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Dyna Super Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:45 PM
mkmonday
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dyna Super Glide

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum...
I purchase a 2002 Dyna Super Glide in Brandon, FL last year. I love my bike and we have since moved to Ohio so I don't get to ride it as often which is not the greatest!
My issue is that since moving here in Jan. I have had to have it in the shop twice for starting issues...they replaced the ignition and then the battery...got ready to ride today and won't start AGAIN!!!
They are telling me at the service dept. in Dayton I have to keep it on the "trickle charger" all the time???
I didn't do that in Florida so I'm wondering do you Northerner's keep yours on a charger???
Thanks and any great routes around Ohio & Indiana are appreciated!
Ride safe!

Old 04-30-2013, 03:19 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

If you have a good battery and run the bike on a regular basis, you should not have to have the trickle charger on all the time. That said, it won't hurt if you do leave it on.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long did your bike sit without being started? If it sat from January to the end of April the battery will probably go dead. Get a Deltran trickle charger and keep it charged up for any long periods of time you will not be using the bike.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean it won't turn-over or it does, but won't fire when it is? I keep my battery on a Battery Tender Jr. all the time. Keeping a battery fully-charged means a long battery life.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

If you have access to a multi meter and know how to use one, start the bike let it warm a few minutes. Check the voltage across the battery terminals, at idle you should have 13.2v and above 2200 rpm at least 14.2v. Sort of surprised the shop that installed your battery didn't offer a charging test. Judicial use of the fuel enrichner (choke) is needed when it's cold up north, while starting. When the bike warms up push that **** in, you will foul plugs. The AGM type batteries, found in most Harleys like the smart tenders, a good one is from Deltran. Watch this forum on how to put these puppies to bed for the winter, that's for us snow country people. Keep us informed.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy a battery tender for a motorcycle for like 12 bucks at walmart

Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkmonday
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum...
I purchase a 2002 Dyna Super Glide in Brandon, FL last year. I love my bike and we have since moved to Ohio so I don't get to ride it as often which is not the greatest!
My issue is that since moving here in Jan. I have had to have it in the shop twice for starting issues...they replaced the ignition and then the battery...got ready to ride today and won't start AGAIN!!!
They are telling me at the service dept. in Dayton I have to keep it on the "trickle charger" all the time???
I didn't do that in Florida so I'm wondering do you Northerner's keep yours on a charger???
Thanks and any great routes around Ohio & Indiana are appreciated!
Ride safe!
Run ethanol free fuel and leave it on a Battery Tender when not in use. Especially if you dont ride much.