Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can anyone help a short-armed newbie pick out some bars? '03 dyna low rider

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM
leaky
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default can anyone help a short-armed newbie pick out some bars? '03 dyna low rider

Hi,

My experience is a year on bikes, 2500 miles, not much. I've got an '03 FXDL with stock bars from what I can tell. The way I measure about 31 wide, 9.5 in the center, 4 rise, 8 pullback. Pullback risers installed as well, about 4.5 tall and 1 or 2 inches back. I'm 5 ft 6 and stocky, arms and legs probably shorter in scale than most.

Issue is I've got the bars pulled back as far as possible and I feel really stretched out. Want to lean back more and can't cause my arms are maxed out, bars are also kinda low now because pulling them back also lowers them down too.

I don't want anything exotic or to go much different on width or angle of the grips - just something that is similar with more pullback or height to give me pullback adjustment. I know many have been through this - any recommendations on what would be really close to stock with a little more height/pullback?

Going through JP Cycles was thinking maybe a taller similar bar or even mini ape like these:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5000066

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7500234

Thanks,

Jon

Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Have a look at my sig picture, I am vertically challenged and needed a better set of bars.
I chose the Wild1 Wo560 drag bars.
Love the pullback and the comfort. Makes it a much better ride.
If you need some different pictures, PM me.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 PM
leaky
Cruiser

Thanks - Those do look nice - one piece is a little concerning because there's no adjustment, but it looks way better and I guess you know the angle will be right for a given pullback.

Sent you a PM.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I measured the existing position of the mini apes and added to the measurements where I wanted them to end up. These fit the bill perfectly.

Also a lot of research helped!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:32 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

I mounted p/n 56102-99 (Softail Standard s/s handlebars and stock on FXD35).

Here's how I found the most relaxed position on my bike:

Put your bike on the lift, sit on it, close your eyes and stretch your arms with relaxed shoulder/neck muscles towards the handlebar.

Open your eyes in this position and check if your handlebar has to be adjusted to this position.

If necessary make the adjustment and try it out on your next ride.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM
weeT
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem...used 12" NARROW minis on 1.5" risers to give me a few inches up & a few back from stock. I got the narrow ones so the middle part wouldn't stick out past the forks. They are also 1.25", but the grip ends are tapered down so stock size grips will fit.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 PM
One Vision
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gommee
Have a look at my sig picture, I am vertically challenged and needed a better set of bars.
I chose the Wild1 Wo560 drag bars.
Love the pullback and the comfort. Makes it a much better ride.
If you need some different pictures, PM me.
Gomme and I have the same bars. I too am 5'6" with a 30" inseam. Short and Stocky. These are very comfortable bars. Straight change out, no need to add cable length or whatnot.

OV

Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Mike650
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you could also get yourself a seat that puts your up further.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:13 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike650
you could also get yourself a seat that puts your up further.
Yep...

Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 PM
leaky
Cruiser

Thanks Guys!

weet - do you know what model it is you got there? Did it change the grip angle at all? That's one thing I'm definitely shooting for, trying to keep grip angle the way it is.

One Vision - Leaning toward what you guys got but need estimate better where that puts me.. A little concerned they may be a touch short height-wise. Was it tight on the cables at all? I think it's gonna be tight, as it is now with the 4.5 inch pullback risers & stock bars I don't have much to play with. Was thinking clutch, brake, and throttle all getting changed (probably measure up the bars, order longer everything, then swap them out one at a time before putting the bars on).. My clutch cable though has a split in the conduit and the throttle cable freezes up in cold weather, so worst scenario I'm replacing 2/3 parts of the controls that are on their way out anyway.

Mike - I've heard that on the seat, do you know how much it really gives you? Seems like even by getting up against the tank it barely makes a difference. I think from where the bars sit now I would really like 4 inches pullback and 3 inches height if I'm going to spend time & $$ changing things.. But it's not terribly wrong - if it was 2 & 2 inches better now I probably wouldn't even be messing with it.

Jon

Quick Reply: can anyone help a short-armed newbie pick out some bars? '03 dyna low rider