Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make you bike handle too well??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Make your bike handle too well??

This may sound crazy, but I am beginning to regret how well my Fat Bob handles... I came from sport bikes (12 years without a bike while I had young kids), and got back into bikes with a Harley to "slow down". I tried many bikes before choosing the FB. Most other HDs I tried felt loose or ground the hard bits too soon. I put better shocks (Ohlins 3/4" longer) with Intiminators up front to get the chassis settled down after having mid-corner bumps upset the bike. Bliss

Longer story, shorter... I find myself cutting lunch short daily to find my old sport bike roads and see how fast I can hustle down them. Today I am running 40MPH through a 20MPH decreasing radius turn and meet up with a ton of loose grass clippings! I kept it rubber down, but it's making me rethink my choice of bikes. It's not in my nature to do something half a$$, so I want to ride like it is capable of being ridden (outside of a track day). I am seriously considering getting a touring bike, just because I can't imagine wanting to "toss" around a 900 lb. bike.
In my sport bike days I didn't have a wife and kids to think about.

Was thinking about a Breakout, but I'm afraid I'd forget about the horrible lean angle and low-side it.
Anybody else feel they need to slow down, and how did they do it?

Last edited by Puffdaddy; 08-26-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

When I want to slow down I have found that easing up on the throttle works really good.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
When I want to slow down I have found that easing up on the throttle works really good.
+1

Works for me too!

Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Now why would you want to slow down? I think you'll regret getting a touring bike. I have my Z for speed but this winter (if I have he funds) I want to break down my lowrider and turn it into something special. Some motor work, paint, some other mods, and definitely upgrade the suspension....front and rear. Keep your bike, just have enough sense to slow it down when you need to.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you kidding? Bike handles TOO well?! Ditto to everyone else, roll off the throttle a little...

Old 08-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Jack Ryan
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Puffdaddy
This may sound crazy, but I am beginning to regret how well my Fat Bob handles... I came from sport bikes (12 years without a bike while I had young kids), and got back into bikes with a Harley to "slow down". I tried many bikes before choosing the FB. Most other HDs I tried felt loose or ground the hard bits too soon. I put better shocks (Ohlins 3/4" longer) with Intiminators up front to get the chassis settled down after having mid-corner bumps upset the bike. Bliss

Longer story, shorter... I find myself cutting lunch short daily to find my old sport bike roads and see how fast I can hustle down them. Today I am running 40MPH through a 20MPH decreasing radius turn and meet up with a ton of loose grass clippings! I kept it rubber down, but it's making me rethink my choice of bikes. It's not in my nature to do something half a$$, so I want to ride like it is capable of being ridden (outside of a track day). I am seriously considering getting a touring bike, just because I can't imagine wanting to "toss" around a 900 lb. bike.
In my sport bike days I didn't have a wife and kids to think about.

Was thinking about a Breakout, but I'm afraid I'd forget about the horrible lean angle and low-side it.
Anybody else feel they need to slow down, and how did they do it?
I got rid of everything that I felt wasn't any fun to ride at the speed limit.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:59 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope this thread is a joke.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:09 AM
toku58
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same boat! Coming from a sport bike I wanted to keep it slower. But it seems that speed is just in the blood! I keep having to remind myself to ease up on the bike.
It's a sexy looking bike! But I can relate to what you're saying!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a gopro. show the video to your wife.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:40 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

Some of us like to ride a bike to its limit, no matter what that is. Sounds like you fit into that category. I know a guy who was exactly the way you're describing yourself. He bought a bagger so he would "slow down." I've also seen pictures of him on his bagger with the bags removed, the lights taped up, and him wearing full leathers tearing around the track.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: Make you bike handle too well??