Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made a decision

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Made a decision

So, most of the summer & fall I have had it in my mind that I want a Road King, and have had thoughts of trading in my Dyna for a new one. I even went and rode one, and it's one nice machine for sure. I love the new Road King, no doubt.

But recently I've been rethinking the whole thing & after putting several hundred miles on my Dyna over the last week I have realized how much I love my Dyna, and I just can't part with her. I would love to have a new Road King, but I'm not going to sacrifice my Dyna for one. Maybe some day I'll have one as a second bike, but I think I'll always have a Dyna in some form or another...they're just a great bike.

So...to resolve a couple issues I have (storage & foot position), I am going to continue to make my Dyna what I want it to be..

I've bought a bunch of Bad&G stuff off of a fellow forum member... right side solo bag, battery/ignition cover bags, tool bag & another seat covered in the matching leather. I also ordered the left side solo bag to match from Bad&G. This will solve all my storage issues & wife & I will be able to take extra clothes & stuff with us on longer rides. The Bad&G stuff I bought is "Chestnut" in color, which is a deep reddish brown...I wanted all black stuff at first, then it grew on me. It will definitely look unique on my black bike, but I think it will be cool. I'll post pics when it all arrives and I get it on the bike.

Next, I'm going to do floorboards this winter.

"Then, I will be done doing mods to my bike"....said no Dyna owner ever, lol

It's always going to be a work in progress..

Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i kinda in the same boat a you are, i have wanted to get a bagger and have thought of trading my dyna in but i just cant do it.. i had a 98 fxd and sold it, now i wish i didnt, like you i love the dyna and the way you can customize it.. so i will probably keep it with out regret

Old 10-21-2013, 10:10 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I made the same choice a few years ago. I test drove a few Road Kings and even the Street Glide but the numbers just didn't make sense and I really liked my Dyna. I finally just decided to put the factory detachable bags on it with the floorboards. I have t looked elsewhere since.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You are not alone in your evil thoughts. I spent the weekend in Daytona and both of my buddies have baggers (an Ultra and Street Glide.)

I fell in love with the Street Glide, then, I rode home alone (got called into work.) I took the interstate to make time and I'm still feeling the effects of the apes. My bike is awesome everywhere but 75 mph and above.

Like you, I fought the urge to look at a different bike, but I decided to change bars and add a gauntlet fairing. Even though the apes wore me out on the interstate, the nimbleness and power-to-weight ratio of the Dyna left me smiling to whole way. I want to keep the benefits of the Dyna, but stretch it's comfortable interstate capability to DC or Miami from my home in Savannah. As it is, 250 miles of interstate beats me down.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 AM
saschagast
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually own a bagger, 2012 SG, and a Dyna 2013 fxdb, did a road trip with my girl and it was happy to own the street glide, on the dyna she just isn't comfortable so if you are looking for a touring bike for 2 up i'd say go for it when you are ready.

BUT.....i did a road trip on my dyna, nothing too crazy, 450/day for 3 days and i actually prefer her when i do a solo trip. We hit a few spots where I was happy to have a lighter bike, the roads were sandy and dirty (Sequoia), i knew that i would have been in trouble on my Street Glide, super narrow roads and having to turn around on forrest roads would have been a bitch.

i also like the seat better on my dyna and i have the lepera silhouette, so by no means any cushion, but on my street glide, the stock touring seat makes my butt cheeks fall asleep.

so yeah, having both bikes is the perfect solution but i know i'd never sell my dyna

Old 10-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Hogi
Cruiser

I allway loved the road-kings but in my age [52] I know: bigger is not better

tryed road king once - it's just to big for my day to day use in the sity.
Came to visit USA last summer -3 weeks with 2500 mils on rented 103 2013 ultra.
it is the best bist to America's hi-way, inter-statas rads and malls with big parking lots but all the way of the Dregon tail and the blue-ridge i wanted my dyna!
I know now - for me - just Dyna.

I will keep the Fat bob for now and next year i will make Duo glid dyna out of him or trade it in 2015 with the best bike harley made [imo]- the Swichback Dyna.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 80 Posts

It was funny to see this post because one of the local dealers had a swap meet over the weekend and I was browsing in the showroom. I did sit on a Street glide, and I did like the feel. I will not trade in my beloved Wideglide, but in a couple years when it and the wife's Sporty are paid off, I may be buying a Street Glide for those longer trips...

Old 10-21-2013, 01:48 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your bike is going to look awesome with that new leather. Looking forward to the pics you'll post (I hope).

Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by saschagast
...i also like the seat better on my dyna and i have the lepera silhouette, so by no means any cushion, but on my street glide, the stock touring seat makes my butt cheeks fall asleep...
Something I learned from many years of long-distance cycling...soft saddles cause numbness (sometimes in unfortunate areas). A firm saddle takes a little getting used to, but you won't have all the cushiony stuff smooshing into all those little vessels and cutting of the circulation.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM
timfromfc
Cruiser

If only we had unlimited funds to have a different bike for all occasions. Since that isn't reality for most of us, then sticking with the Dyna seems like a good choice.

Quick Reply: Made a decision