Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey where'd all my oil go ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Bbbadboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey where'd all my oil go ?

So I have a 2011 Wg Stock 96ci engine. 5000 miles on it. At 1800 I switched to Hd synthetic oil. Its time for a oil change .There's nothing on the stick !!! Has anyone had issues with synthetic oil. I tried Amsoil in new Avalanche and went through 4 quart in the next 8000 miles. Switched back to conventional oil problem went a way.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That gives me an idea!! Someone with a plane go and dump synthetic oil all over the whitehouse.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Use various synthetic blends/brands in all my vehicles & "no" level issues/disappearances between changes. Are you sure the oil barons aren't siphoning some out of your vehicles...??

Old 11-02-2013, 08:22 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

If I were you I'd check my oil more often. Only 2 places it could go. You're either burning it or leaking it.

Originally Posted by Jeff's 1st Harley
That gives me an idea!! Someone with a plane go and dump synthetic oil all over the whitehouse.
RIGHT! That idea will go far. You'll end up a big splatter mark in the sky way before you even get close.

FWIW - What would you be protesting? Save the synthetic dinosaurs?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I've used Amsoil in a variety of engines and transmissions, and the only change was better gas mileage and cold weather starting, except for a Yamaha two stroke that would blow exhaust gaskets at wide open in top gear - but it wouldn't even go that fast with dino. Thought that was kinda weird. Still use it in some bikes, but not in cheap stuf like my errand scooter, trail bike, or the daughter's little 250.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Bbbadboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya it sucks. No puddles under either. My friends have great luck with it. An believe me I'll be checking it much more often. My bad. I guess worst case bigger jugs and pistons and head work would fix it. Ya ya that it. I can't be burning all that oil.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
If I were you I'd check my oil more often. Only 2 places it could go. You're either burning it or leaking it.

RIGHT! That idea will go far. You'll end up a big splatter mark in the sky way before you even get close.

FWIW - What would you be protesting? Save the synthetic dinosaurs?

No Jeff my intended mind thought was to get rid of unwanted and unneeded fossilized organic matter, before said matter becomes so large as to render us permanently asleep. Sort of like in the movie the blob.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

the evos used to have a problem with this if you let the bike sit over winter it would all go down in the primary case and if you added oil it would puke oil out the air cleaner. Never had an issue with my twin cam 96 and I use mobil one. Works great for me . I dont burn any oil between oil changes . You might be losing some out your air cleaner depending on which set up you have.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:34 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,313 Likes on 2,358 Posts

You should be checking your oil level more than once every 6,000 miles. I'd check your plugs, if they are black and sooty then you are burning oil. either past the rings or past the valve guide seals. You didn't put your new oil in the tranny did you?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,264 Likes on 11,133 Posts

Opinions about oil are like navels, we all have one. But I don't like using synthetic in loose clearance, old school engines. Had a '78 Z28 with a new 350 crate engine. It used 3 qts of Mobil 1 in 300 miles. Changed to dino oil and the consumption problem went away. Seems as if the synthetic oil went past the valve guide seals.
Just my 02.

Quick Reply: Hey where'd all my oil go ?