Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My trip into the primary. .and transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:45 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
Default My trip into the primary. .and transmission

In August I noticed I had the beginnings of a leak around my pulley. I probably could’ve left it alone a while longer but having never been into my primary I wanted to see how tight the chain was and how the bearings were doing after 20k miles. I started researching seal replacement, tools, etc and decided to go in to replace all of the oil seals. What started out as a seal replacement has turned into a much bigger project than I had planned for. I took some pictures along the way which I figured people might like to see.
Beginning of the leak

Bike on jack

Disconnect and remove battery

Drain the primary

Remove outer primary cover. Ring gear marks on inner primary. Not a good sign.

View of exposed drive system

Compensator, clutch, tensioner, chain removed

This nut is the worst. Careful and time consuming grinding with a dremel got it off. My 6 foot fence post breaker bar over a 24” pipe wrench on the socket wouldn’t budge it. Also removed mainshaft race to get at inner main drive gear seal.

Pulley nut off after a few days of messing with it.

Bare mainshaft

Large seal removed exposing MDG bearing. The inner MDG seal seals between mainshaft and inside of MDG. It’s a royal pain to remove. Set me back another day or so.

Seal finally off

At this point I thought I was in the clear until I went after the shifter jackshaft seal. .very small clearance in there to get at it, while trying with a pick I nicked the jackshaft. At that point I had to decide whether or not to chance installing a new seal on a nicked shaft. Sanding didn’t prove too helpful so figured why not see what a transmission looks like. Removed exhaust, exhaust bracket, clutch cover, trans top cover, bolts, rested shifter shaft pawl on top of transmission, and pried the gearset out of the transmission case from the right side of the motorcycle. This is all spelled out in the SM and was surprisingly easy to do.

Shifter needs to rest on this gasket prior to removal of gearset

Trapdoor and gearset ready to come out as a unit. Tape the mainshaft splines up so they don’t rough up your MDG needle bearings.

Gearset out. Never worked on a transmission before. This is a constant mesh design. Mainshaft on left, countershaft on right. Constant mesh means each gear is rotating with its counter gear at all times (meshed), with one of the two being a ‘freewheeling’ gear (ie its on a bearing). First gear is at bottom, closest to trapdoor, going up in order to 6th, or main drive gear at the top as shown. 1st-4th gears are fixed on the mainshaft with their countershaft gears riding on bearings. The shifter cam and shifter forks actuate shift dogs which engage the selected gear and fix it to the shaft which it was previously spinning on. This locks the two shafts together at the chosen gear. 5th-6th gear mainshaft are freewheeling while the countershaft gears are fixed. This is all shown in the SM. Having it on the bench and running through the gears made it easy for me to understand.

Needle bearing in MDG had some worn needle rollers

Clutch hub teeth chipped off

I called around to get quotes and shops either didn’t know what I was talking about or wanted an hour labor to just replace the clutch hub. I did some more research and decided I could do the hub myself as well as the MDG bearings. Ordered a press from Harbor Freight for $95 w/ coupons. Got that put together this week and borrowed some specialty tools from forum member Hullhorr (thanks again) to R&R the Main Drive Gear, the MDG bearing, and the MDG needle bearings. That’s where its at now, waiting on parts.

Going back together using all new seals, retaining rings, gaskets, 2014 Big Twin Compensator, new clutch hub, Andrews 30T Pulley, and Hayden M6 chain tensioner. Already replaced the countershaft bearing in transmission case. Have yet to replace clutch hub bearing, MDG bearing(s), and inner primary bearing. Leaving trapdoor bearings alone as they feel okay to me.

Last edited by mattVA; 11-15-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I've done the seals a couple of times, not an easy job. You are braver than I am going into the trans. Great shots, great write up, keep us posted.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:56 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Subscribed. Any chance to see the innerworks is appreciated. Best of luck!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy cow! Hats off to you! Nice write up and pics Matt!

Old 11-15-2013, 04:02 PM
camden
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome! Can't wait to see more.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:06 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Robbie13
Holy cow! Hats off to you! Nice write up and pics Matt!
Are you going to put that V&H exhaust on this winter? Look forward to hearing how you like it.

If anyone would like any pictures of anything I didn't show here while it's apart I can take them. I like learning about this stuff and I always talk myself into the "might as well, I'm in this far. ." line of thinking especially since it's cold out now. 5 years ago I didn't own a wrench and had never worked on anything motorcycle related. .lots of reading and watching YouTube and you can learn anything.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:09 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
I've done the seals a couple of times, not an easy job. You are braver than I am going into the trans. Great shots, great write up, keep us posted.
I hate those seals. I've since bought a 'shaft' seal puller for next time, hoping it'll at least work on the inner MDG seal. That was the worst.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-58430-Shaft-Type-Puller/dp/B000FPYW4K http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-58430-Shaft-Type-Puller/dp/B000FPYW4K

Old 11-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
Are you going to put that V&H exhaust on this winter? Look forward to hearing how you like it.

If anyone would like any pictures of anything I didn't show here while it's apart I can take them. I like learning about this stuff and I always talk myself into the "might as well, I'm in this far. ." line of thinking especially since it's cold out now. 5 years ago I didn't own a wrench and had never worked on anything motorcycle related. .lots of reading and watching YouTube and you can learn anything.
Yes sir! That is my plan! It snowed here a few days ago but supposed to be nice this weekend so I am still riding. I will definitely let you know!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:33 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Matt! Followed a lot if this over at HTT, at least I tried to follow it - most over my head! First question: in pic # 5 what and where are the "ring gear marks"?

Old 11-15-2013, 08:45 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by alansummrs
Hey Matt! Followed a lot if this over at HTT, at least I tried to follow it - most over my head! First question: in pic # 5 what and where are the "ring gear marks"?
I think they're hard to see in that picture. How's this?

Quick Reply: My trip into the primary. .and transmission