Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inner primary bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default inner primary bearing?

last couple rides i have noticed a squeal noise that sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the primary or transmission area. i dont seem to notice it when the bike is in nuetral. it is very suddle. if i rev the motor with the clucth pulled i can here it when the motor settles back too idol. also noticed it last night going up my steep *** driveway from a stopped position.

I plan to check it out this weekend or next week. i am expecting to see inner primary bearing wear or maybe something with the clutch.

the bike is 06 superglide and i have replaced the ipb once before but it was awhile ago. everything else in the primary is stock, so maybe i will use this chance to upgrade/ service that area

have heard alot of guys are using the se compensator. is that a worthwhile upgrade.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:33 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If its another IPB the easy and permanent fix is to install a Baker Sealed bearing and a Hayden Primary Chain tensioner. What is killing your IPB is the horrible automatic ratcheting primary chain tensioner. It ratchets up and makes the chain really tight which puts stress on the tranny input shaft and bearing. While you are in there, make sure your compensator cup/rotor is welded and not bolted together with 8 bolts. If it is... have the 8 bolts tack welded.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:09 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

cool i was planning on using the baker bearing, i dont really know much about the hayden adjuster other than what it says on thier web site. i like the idea of the manually adjusted tentioners like the ones we use to have, but i just cant see takin the primary cover of to check adjustment

Old 01-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That doesn't sound like the classic IPB failure. That would manifest as a 'gravel swirling in a tin can' noise that goes away when idling in neutral with the clutch pulled in, and comes back when the clutch is released (still idling in neutral).

Check the bolts connecting the top stabilizer to the front and rear heads, and look carefully for other loose hardware.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:00 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

do the baker and never look back

Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ratbob
That doesn't sound like the classic IPB failure. That would manifest as a 'gravel swirling in a tin can' noise that goes away when idling in neutral with the clutch pulled in, and comes back when the clutch is released (still idling in neutral).

Check the bolts connecting the top stabilizer to the front and rear heads, and look carefully for other loose hardware.

that is whet i have heard too, but the full truth is i bought the baker bearing about a year ago and it has been sitting there in my shop waiting for a "good time" to put it in.
Also i dropped my wheels off at the powder coater yesterday, so the bike is on the lift just sitting there so i will check it out. i will also check the bolts you mentioned.

as for the hayden, i want to think it is a good upgrade but im not 100% convenced. kind of seems like it would make the whole drivetrain feel soft or spongy. i can just imagine dumping the clucth or doing hard shifts and the chain movin around that much bouncing up and down. under a heavy load it seems things could go bad. also, ive always liked the feeling of the transmission bangin into gear and popin your head back alittle. wierd i know as most people want a softer smoother feel.

i looked up the se compensator and for some reason did not realize it was that costly. i forgot to mention that i have an 07 rotor that i put in after mine took a dump so i dont have to woorry about the bolts.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:58 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

i took my primary apart this afternoon. for 81,000 miles it looks great. to me the ipb looked fine as well as the race. the tensioner looked fine also. there were tiny flat spots on the compensator but it doest seem to keep it from doing what it is suppose to do. the chain seems fine also the belt

the clutch i dont know enough about to comment really. i wasn't really sure what to be lookin for. i plan on replacing the ipb anyway with the baker because i already have it. i will take the clutch to the shop with me and have him check it out. i cant imagine it would cost that much to have him press a new bearing in the clutch and give it the once over so maybe that is the thing to do anyway. he is pressing the new baker bearing for me anyway

i did have a question about something. i can grap hold of the main shaft and move it. it is just alittle, but you can feel it flex a tiny bit. is this normal or something that needs to be checked out. i was thinking that the ipb locked it in place once everything was bolted together but i wasnt sure

i am on the fence about the se compensator, so if yall had some advise i am all ears

Old 02-05-2014, 07:54 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

i moved this to the drivetrain section of the forum. the mainshaft moves too much inside the transmision and feels very rough when you rotate it. i had an experienced hd tech friend swing by the house and he said it was way too movement and bearings in the tranny were bad

that is were it is now, so if anyone wanted to see the tranny damage it will be in the drivetrain section. have not started yet maybe this weekend i will try to pull the gear set to look

Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

That would be your main drive gear bearing. The repair bill just went up . .specialty tools and a fair amount of labor to fix.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

What causes those to go bad?

Quick Reply: inner primary bearing?