Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protaper is making bars and risers for Harley.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:00 PM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Protaper is making bars and risers for Harley.

I don't know if this is old news, but Protaper is now making Harley-spesific bars and risers. Two different bars with 1 1/2" clamping area and tapers down to 1" at the ends. They are also making "Big Bore" 1 1/2" risers with heights of 2 1/2" and 4 1/2".

I already ordered some MX-bars from Protaper, but havent ordered the risers/sleeves yet ( Forbidden motorcycles ). The lowest FM are 9", and I really don't wanna spend $2-400 on new cabels right now. so...

Will Protapers with 4 1/2" ( no pullback ) risers be a long reach on the Fatbob??

PS! I don't get my bike 'till beginning of March so I can't mock it up...

PSPS!! I'm 5f.10"

http://trbcjapan.files.wordpress.com...c0114c0384.jpg

Last edited by JayOhh; 02-06-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:27 AM
Jbco2
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, I like those bars.

Joe

Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 AM
952dave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might have to order a set of these.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:01 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That's weird I didn't see those on the website. I've been checking out dirt bike bars for a long time now and never saw that anywhere. I ordered everything to do pro tapers on mine yesterday, going to be a little different though.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:47 AM
JayOhh
Tourer

They are not out yet, but you can pre-order them here:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/cc...=0&search2.y=0

Old 02-07-2014, 08:56 AM
brandon95354
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JayOhh
I don't know if this is old news, but Protaper is now making Harley-spesific bars and risers. Two different bars with 1 1/2" clamping area and tapers down to 1" at the ends. They are also making "Big Bore" 1 1/2" risers with heights of 2 1/2" and 4 1/2".

I already ordered some MX-bars from Protaper, but havent ordered the risers/sleeves yet ( Forbidden motorcycles ). The lowest FM are 9", and I really don't wanna spend $2-400 on new cabels right now. so...

Will Protapers with 4 1/2" ( no pullback ) risers be a long reach on the Fatbob??

PS! I don't get my bike 'till beginning of March so I can't mock it up...

PSPS!! I'm 5f.10"

http://trbcjapan.files.wordpress.com...c0114c0384.jpg
i think you will be able to reach the 4.5 in risers just fine... keep in mind you can always roll the bars back a bit so they should work for you.

another thing to consider if you really want 9 inch risers, you should maybe wait till you can swoop up a set of used street bob cables on ebay. or if you want shorter FM risers you could have them cut down.

i wonder if protaper making VTWINN bars has anything to do with all the people in the CA bay area running FM risers and protapers....whatever you decide itll look great, protapers always look good.

BTW if you decide you want short risers and you already have the 1 1/8 fatbar in hand, a friend of mine used the 2 in protaper dirt bike risers on his softail with the 1 1/8 fatbar and it looks super clean, if a recall correctly i think the riser bolts were a bit smaller than vtwinn bolts...but he made it work.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Never heard of the manufacturer, what sets them apart from the rest?

Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 AM
JayOhh
Tourer

Originally Posted by brandon95354
i think you will be able to reach the 4.5 in risers just fine... keep in mind you can always roll the bars back a bit so they should work for you.

another thing to consider if you really want 9 inch risers, you should maybe wait till you can swoop up a set of used street bob cables on ebay. or if you want shorter FM risers you could have them cut down.

i wonder if protaper making VTWINN bars has anything to do with all the people in the CA bay area running FM risers and protapers....whatever you decide itll look great, protapers always look good.

BTW if you decide you want short risers and you already have the 1 1/8 fatbar in hand, a friend of mine used the 2 in protaper dirt bike risers on his softail with the 1 1/8 fatbar and it looks super clean, if a recall correctly i think the riser bolts were a bit smaller than vtwinn bolts...but he made it work.

Yeah I'll just wait 'till I get the bike, to see how things will line up. Looks like the taller risers will be comfortable and give more (lowspeed) control. But I don't like the look of tall MX-bars without some sort of fairing. So if I decide to go taller I need new cabels, a fairing and a new ( single ) headlight. If not, these new Harley-spesific Protapers are a strong candidate...

Old 02-07-2014, 09:40 AM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

ProTaper has been around for a while now.It used to be an exotic handle bar for MX in those days..I had one on my CR and they were great.It claims to absorb a certain amount of vibration and hence reducing fatigue.To some point I think I have to agree because it made my races a little less tiring.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:14 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Never heard of the manufacturer, what sets them apart from the rest?
They've been around since the early 90s. Mainly used on motocross bikes and atvs. They introduced the 1-1/8" tapered "fat bars" that don't require a cross bar. They're constructed of aluminum as opposed to a shitty chunk of steel yet they cost a fraction of most Harley bars. It's mostly just a different style than the same old crap you see on Harleys and makes us lifelong dirt riders feel at home.

Quick Reply: Protaper is making bars and risers for Harley.