Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork disassembly question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:19 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fork disassembly question

OK, I'm disassembling my forks right now and I can't seem to get the rubber dust seal off after removing the fork slider cover. It's almost like it's glued on or something. What's the deal? Do I have to run a razor blade between it and the fork slider where they meet?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:23 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

A small flat blade screwdriver used carefully will work to pry the lipp of the dustcover over the lip on the fork.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:25 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer

Originally Posted by QC
A small flat blade screwdriver used carefully will work to pry the lipp of the dustcover over the lip on the fork.
Sorry for the stupid question, but from the top (tube) or bottom (slider)? Because I've got a little miniature flat blade screw driver out and the only thing it did was rip the seal a little bit. I thought that would do it, but it's still not budging...

Old 02-15-2014, 09:30 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

The seal is "snapped" onto the slider. It's kinda like taking a tire off a rim. Get a spot started, hold it up with your finger and try to slide the screwdriver around to work the seal up off the lip. The seal is relatively thick and stiff so patience and firm pressure will maake it happen.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:33 PM
oldlefty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have the cap off, springs out and oil drained yet? bottom cap screw out yet? if you do and the bottom slider is free to collapse and extend then you can bang them apart buy pulling hard. as long as the retainer ring is out that sits on top of dust seal that is.

or are you talking about the dust cap that is stretched over the bottom slider?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer

Got it... I didn't realize there was about 1/8" or so that actually sat below the part that seats to the outside of the slider. Once I got it to actually start lifting as opposed to pulling apart, it was easy... Thanks!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldlefty
do you have the cap off, springs out and oil drained yet? bottom cap screw out yet? if you do and the bottom slider is free to collapse and extend then you can bang them apart buy pulling hard. as long as the retainer ring is out that sits on top of dust seal that is.

or are you talking about the dust cap that is stretched over the bottom slider?
Retainer ring was not out at that point. You're talking about two steps after where I was at. The "dust seal" is what sits atop the "oil seal retaining ring".

Old 02-15-2014, 10:04 PM
oldlefty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone
Retainer ring was not out at that point. You're talking about two steps after where I was at. The "dust seal" is what sits atop the "oil seal retaining ring".
there is a second dust seal between the outer cap (which is rubber on your pic and steel on mine) and the actual oil seal. the dust seal is inside your lower leg and then a steel washer and then the oil seal. all that is held in with a retainer ring and then covered with the outer cap. i just wasn't sure what step you were at. cheers

Old 02-16-2014, 01:23 AM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldlefty
there is a second dust seal between the outer cap (which is rubber on your pic and steel on mine) and the actual oil seal. the dust seal is inside your lower leg and then a steel washer and then the oil seal. all that is held in with a retainer ring and then covered with the outer cap. i just wasn't sure what step you were at. cheers
It's all good brother. Thanks for the help fellas! Knocked the second fork disassembly out in less than 20 minutes...

Old 02-16-2014, 11:30 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

sorry bud just saw this... glad you got it, if you need anything you can always call me