Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POS Tri-bar Tail Light Broke

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM
aresone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POS Tri-bar Tail Light Broke

Today I was riding my Fat Bob when the Harley Davidson Tri-bar Tail Light fell off. The tail light broke where the two screws mount it to the tail light frame. I was just riding down the road when I heard something funny coming from the back of my bike. I pulled over to the side of the road and get off and look at the back and there my brake light is just dangling down. So I have called the dealership and Zanotti (bought it online from Zanotti and I am being told Harley only warranties it for 90 days, I bought it in Feburary of this year) and I am being told there is nothing they can do about it. I am pissed, what a POS! I am posting this to warn other people about this piece of crap and to see if anybody has any advice or experience with resolving this kind of issue. Also, if anybody knows of a quality tail light out there for a Fat Bob other than the factory one. I love the smooth look of the tri-bar light.
Thanks in advance....

Old 07-01-2010, 12:00 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by aresone
Today I was riding my Fat Bob when the Harley Davidson Tri-bar Tail Light fell off. The tail light broke where the two screws mount it to the tail light frame. I was just riding down the road when I heard something funny coming from the back of my bike. I pulled over to the side of the road and get off and look at the back and there my brake light is just dangling down. So I have called the dealership and Zanotti (bought it online from Zanotti and I am being told Harley only warranties it for 90 days, I bought it in Feburary of this year) and I am being told there is nothing they can do about it. I am pissed, what a POS! I am posting this to warn other people about this piece of crap and to see if anybody has any advice or experience with resolving this kind of issue. Also, if anybody knows of a quality tail light out there for a Fat Bob other than the factory one. I love the smooth look of the tri-bar light.
Thanks in advance....

I had the exact same issue. I called HD customer support and they told me i was SOL, that they never heard of it happening, etc. My dealer didn't help me out either. They tried saying since I installed it I did it wrong. It snapped from vibration of the plastic mount. It's not designed to support that light. I did a search here and it's happened to a couple of other people.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah someone posted a repair, perhaps 4 or 5 months ago, that rescued the light and put it back into service. It seems that those that tighten down the screws too tight have more problems with the tabs breaking. Also posted was preventive steps. There was much discussion at the time. I'll look tonight if I bookmarked the thread.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:38 PM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here. My light did not fall off but when I checked it the two screw holes were broke and it was ready to fall out. Same deal with getting warranty. I took two small 1/2 in fender washers and put under the screw heads. this has held for a year now. It seems like when you mount the light the bottom screw holes on mine did not tighten up flush and too much torque just breaks the holes. Looks good but too much $$ and too much plastic. Mike

Old 07-02-2010, 01:26 PM
aresone
Intermediate

I spoke with HD today. They are giving me store credit with Zanotti (where I bought the light originally). I just got an email from Zanotti that they are shipping me out a new light and it should be here by wed/thur of next week. According to HD they have redesigned the light, so hopefully this wont be an issue again. I am actually surprised with HD's customer support, I have heard so many horror stories I figured they would tell me to pound sand. Zanotti wasnt a surprise how easily they helped out, they have always been great to work with. Im glad it all worked out......

Old 07-02-2010, 04:03 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aresone
I spoke with HD today. They are giving me store credit with Zanotti (where I bought the light originally). I just got an email from Zanotti that they are shipping me out a new light and it should be here by wed/thur of next week. According to HD they have redesigned the light, so hopefully this wont be an issue again. I am actually surprised with HD's customer support, I have heard so many horror stories I figured they would tell me to pound sand. Zanotti wasnt a surprise how easily they helped out, they have always been great to work with. Im glad it all worked out......
first you were SOL, and out of warranty,, now your gtting a new one?/

Dude what did you tell them?/ what changed their mind?

Old 07-02-2010, 05:14 PM
aresone
Intermediate

I guess I just talked right, to the right person, on the right day.....Sometimes I am just lucky.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine has been on for nearly 23,000 miles so far, not a problem or hint of. Went out and checked it. AOKAY.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:03 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
Mine has been on for nearly 23,000 miles so far, not a problem or hint of. Went out and checked it. AOKAY.

Not as many miles, but still no hint of any issues yet.
Guess I better keep an eye on it.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:26 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine broke last night on a ride. Broke in the same place as everyone here. Anyone have a name of who to talk to?

Quick Reply: POS Tri-bar Tail Light Broke