Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Turn Signal Relocation - Can I do this myself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Cardstang
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Turn Signal Relocation - Can I do this myself?

Hello all,

I have the mod bug bad, and most require relocation of the rear turn signals. The local dealer wants to charge two hours labor to do this. That, along the cost of the kit itself is quite pricy. I'd rather do it myself and save the $$ for other things.

There was this recent thread referencing cutting a bolt off, drilling holes, letting air out of the tire, and jacking it up.

I can find my way around a toolbox a bit and can do some simple bolt-on tasks (and put together bookshelves for my wife), but I am in no way a gearhead or a wrench turner.

There is a video referenced in that thread mentioning a video by Mudd. I did some searching and couldn't find it.

I'm not looking for the "cheapest" way to do it, and I don't mind buying a good quality kit if it is worth the money, but I hate to throw money at the dealer to do something that I could easily do at home. The question is, I don't know if I can.

I don't mind tackling something challenging, but if I know I'm in over my head and would end up breaking something, I'd rather not get to that point.

I have a 2013 Superglide.

Input?

And thanks!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do it!

i only own tools that i bought to do specific jobs, meaning before i bought this bike i'd barely even turned a wrench

with this forum, youtube and a service manual you'll be unstoppable!
(add in a credit card and some common sense just to make sure)

Old 02-18-2014, 03:13 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

It's really prett easy and you can do it yourself without any problems.

You don't need to cut any bolts, but you will need room to pull the bolt out. The tire is in the way. If you jack up the bike, you might have nough room to pull it out. If not, just detach the lower shock bolts and let the swingarm drop a little bit. I did it on my Street Bob without even jacking it (I just starddled the bike and lifted to extend the suspension while taking the bolt out.

Once the bolt it out, you'll see that the TS is actually two pieces. The bullet housing and the strut. The wire passes through the strut, so at this point, you'll have the TS hanging by the wire with the strut suspended on the wire. Don't let it slop around and hit your paint.

Next, you disassemble your tail light from the fender and unplug the TS wires from the tail light assy.

Check to see if the wire and connector will pass through the bolt hole at the fender/strut (where you just removed the bolt.) If so, great, if not, you'll do the following steps with the TS still hanging from the wire and bolt hole.

Finally, you have two choices here.
1. Cut the wire, relocate to your desired position, re-splice the wire. Don't do this unless you just feel lazy.
2. Disassemble the Molex connector. I'm on my work PC and cant get access to YouTube, but there are several videos on YouTube that show you how to disassemble the Molex connector. Just search for "Harley Turn Signal Molex" and you'll see a lot of different videos. (It's very easy once you know how.)

Once the Molex connector is off the wire, you can remove the entire TS and harness from the bike. Relocate the signal to your desires location, route the wire, reassemble the Molex connector, reassemble everything.

The holes left from the bolts need to be filled because those are the rear fender mounts also. Either use the same bolt, or the stuff provided in the kit.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:21 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

You can check out the kit that we sell at this LINK.

All of our parts come with easy to read step by step instructions. They are also 10% off until midnight tomorrow.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-18-2014, 06:27 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its pretty darn simple.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Cardstang
Advanced

Thanks for the tips.

I'll probably end up trying it myself.

Besides the suggestion by DK, are there any other good kit options?

Any I should avoid?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Check out ebay, My signals are integrated into my tail light.

Do not cut wires, take apart the connectors. make sure you take a picture of the wire positions first.

THE BEST INVESTMENT YOU WILL EVER MAKE IS BUYING A SERVICE MANUAL

Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Cardstang
Advanced

Yes, I can do it myself.

I picked up a HD relocation kit, detachable side bracket kit, sideplates, sissy bar, and backrest pad at the local dealer during a sale.

Took me about four hours to get everything done, but I finished it with no problems or issues at all. The dealer would have charged three hours to do it. If I did it again it MAY take me 90 minutes to do it.

I did cut my wires as opposed to disassembling the molex connector. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I just couldn't see what I was doing good enough. I did have to remove the sheath in order to thread the wires through the relocation bolts.

I learned a lot in the process and saved me some money so I can buy more stuff. A win-win situation.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:35 AM
ramu3527
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardstang
Yes, I can do it myself.

I picked up a HD relocation kit, detachable side bracket kit, sideplates, sissy bar, and backrest pad at the local dealer during a sale.

Took me about four hours to get everything done, but I finished it with no problems or issues at all. The dealer would have charged three hours to do it. If I did it again it MAY take me 90 minutes to do it.

I did cut my wires as opposed to disassembling the molex connector. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I just couldn't see what I was doing good enough. I did have to remove the sheath in order to thread the wires through the relocation bolts.

I learned a lot in the process and saved me some money so I can buy more stuff. A win-win situation.
I was in the same boat 5 years ago. Somewhat handy with a wrench but never around a Harley. Bought the manual and whatever tools I needed for each job.

Like they said, between the tools, the manual, this forum, youtube and the will, you can do just about anything.

I installed cams myself a couple years ago. It was a cool experience.

Enjoy!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Here is the links to the videos by mud:

AMP connectors disassembly part 1&2
posted by mud 10-09-2010

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 03-18-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Turn Signal Relocation - Can I do this myself?