Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Jet Kit and Big Radius

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 AM
twfurst
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Jet Kit and Big Radius

Over last weekend I installed my V&H Big Radius 2-into-2 on my '02 Low Rider. I also purchased their Jet Kit (p/n 22827). The instructions for the jet kit seem pretty straightforward, my issue is that they do not indicate which jet is best suited to the Big Radius. They list Long Shots, Short Shots, and a few others. Just wondering if anyone has installed these and what you used? I have an email into V&H tech about it, but haven't gotten a reply. If I can get away from my desk around lunch will probably call them. Eager to hear the bike with the pipes, but wanna do the re-jet before I fire it up. The fuel bowl should be relatively empty at this point, and make less of a mess.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Assuming we are talking stock CV carb - In my experience it doesn't matter an awful lot what air cleaner and pipes you use for stage-1 you will still need the same stage-1 jets. There just isn't enough difference in flow to make the need for different jets necessary.

Once you start messing with cams, head porting, big bore and such then it matters but the only way you will know what to use is with a dyno.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:59 PM
twfurst
Advanced

Yes, talking stock carb. I guess that's my problem, I don't know what the "stage-1" jets are. The kit came with something like 4, 5, or 6 different jets (don't have box here with me to count), but they only cover two or three by number in the instructions. When I first read them, I figured the instructions were just written before the Big Radius pipes were on market, and to use the one they say to use for Short Shots, etc. But then I got to wondering if there was in fact a different recommended jet for these. Didn't get to call V&H at lunch, gonna try after I get outta the office.

Last edited by twfurst; 03-04-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: left out some info
Old 03-04-2014, 01:09 PM

180 has always worked well for me.
The V&H/dyno-jet kit rely on you keeping the 45 pilot.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 PM
twfurst
Advanced

Originally Posted by gaff
180 has always worked well for me.
The V&H/dyno-jet kit rely on you keeping the 45 pilot.
Thanks for the info. Still bit of noob, so what do you mean by 45 pilot? Betting if I had the kit and instructions here in front of me I'd know what you're talking about, but right now drawing a blank.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You really don't want to waste you money on Dynojet or other kits. They are waaaaay over-priced and tend to run too rich. Much better to just use replacement stock jets that you can get from eBay for a couple of $.

I'm not sure of the stock jets in your bike but I'd bet you will get a good stage-1 if you use a 45 pilot jet, 185 main jet and put one slim needle washer under the head of the needle. Also you will need to remove the plastic plug over the idle mix adjustment screw and take it out to 3 turns from fully in.

Don't bother with any other suggested mods like replacing the slider spring or drilling the slider vacuum hole. They make little difference.

Loads of web site and posts on the web telling you how to do all this.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:00 AM

www.nightrider.com Very good info here. Alot reference EVO engines but all the same principles apply. Just take a gander in there and you will be going in the right direction.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 AM
twfurst
Advanced

Originally Posted by gaff
www.nightrider.com Very good info here. Alot reference EVO engines but all the same principles apply. Just take a gander in there and you will be going in the right direction.
I searched earlier this AM, and ended up on that exact site. Def some good info on there. Looking to pull the carb off the bike tonight and get into this. Thanks for info guys.