Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help... Tuner Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help... Tuner Advice

So I have been searching and reading all the tuning threads about all the different kinds that are available and all. I still cant figure out which one I should go with. I am on a budget but also dont want to do damage to the bike. I would rather spend a little more. I am trying to stay close to $1000.00 so the wife doesnt loose her mind.

I have a 2012 fat bob and the only thing it has is some rush slip ons and they are just not loud enough or sound good enough. I think I have settled on the Cobra Speedster Slashdowns in black, I dont really like the 2-1 look and from what I have read these are good pipes. I really like the VH big Radius but they are just so expensive. Anyways, I also want to pick up and air cleaner, nothing to expensive, maybe the one from DK Customs or the K&N one, I like the conical filter look of the SE Heavy but once again its like twice the cost.

The next thing is the tuner... I have read all over from Xied's to fuel pack to the PCV and dyno tuning. These are the only mods I will be making for a long time. I have financed the bike and most of my extra money goes towards the bike and insurance payment so future mods are well in the future. Most likely in a few years I will replace with a Street Glide.

So with that said, I would like some recommendations from the pros. Thanks guys.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:28 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason your not getting the sound out of your current rush slip ons is because your model dyna has the cats in the pipe. You can keep spending your money on slip ons but you won't get much better results. I don't understand why you would buy a 2012 fat bob knowing your just going to trade it in a few years. My advise to you would just search how to gut the cats, keep the rush slip ons and buy some XEID's.

Not the ideal setup, but the more money you dump in a bike you are going to get rid of, the more money you will lose. You will get the sound you want, (rush slip ons sound great) it will run better and cooler, and just ride it without upgrading anything else.

I started with rush slip ons and XEID's and saved up for the 2-1's, big sucker, and the TTS tuner with a dyno tune but I am planning on keeping the bike. No reason to spend any more then you have to on a temporary bike

Old 03-04-2014, 04:48 PM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior

Big radius AWESOME

Last edited by ramhunter9; 03-04-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
The reason your not getting the sound out of your current rush slip ons is because your model dyna has the cats in the pipe. You can keep spending your money on slip ons but you won't get much better results. I don't understand why you would buy a 2012 fat bob knowing your just going to trade it in a few years. My advise to you would just search how to gut the cats, keep the rush slip ons and buy some XEID's.

Not the ideal setup, but the more money you dump in a bike you are going to get rid of, the more money you will lose. You will get the sound you want, (rush slip ons sound great) it will run better and cooler, and just ride it without upgrading anything else.

I started with rush slip ons and XEID's and saved up for the 2-1's, big sucker, and the TTS tuner with a dyno tune but I am planning on keeping the bike. No reason to spend any more then you have to on a temporary bike

Old 03-04-2014, 08:02 PM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior

If your looking for a set of Big Radius pipes brand new with fancy powder coat for CHEAP

Look here

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-or-trade.html

Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

for what you are doing I would just go with the XIED's. They are great and get the job done.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer

Originally Posted by rooti

The reason I bought the fat bob is because the SG was out of my budget. Maybe in a few years it won't be or maybe it still will be, I don't know. The reason I bought slip ons is because they were practically free and I wanted to do things the right way and didn't have money for pipes, AC and a tuner/tune.

Now I want to get the mods, I'm not dumping money into the bike... I can always take the mods off and sell the extras. I'm not gutting the cat, I live in a state that requires emissions and inspections and I want to have the stock stuff just in case.

My biggest question was about the tuner situation... I'm getting full pipes and an AC... I will spend money but don't want to waste money. That's why I turned you guys.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by 1dark883
So I have been searching and reading all the tuning threads about all the different kinds that are available and all. I still cant figure out which one I should go with. I am on a budget but also dont want to do damage to the bike. I would rather spend a little more. I am trying to stay close to $1000.00 so the wife doesnt loose her mind.

I have a 2012 fat bob and the only thing it has is some rush slip ons and they are just not loud enough or sound good enough. I think I have settled on the Cobra Speedster Slashdowns in black, I dont really like the 2-1 look and from what I have read these are good pipes. I really like the VH big Radius but they are just so expensive. Anyways, I also want to pick up and air cleaner, nothing to expensive, maybe the one from DK Customs or the K&N one, I like the conical filter look of the SE Heavy but once again its like twice the cost.

The next thing is the tuner... I have read all over from Xied's to fuel pack to the PCV and dyno tuning. These are the only mods I will be making for a long time. I have financed the bike and most of my extra money goes towards the bike and insurance payment so future mods are well in the future. Most likely in a few years I will replace with a Street Glide.

So with that said, I would like some recommendations from the pros. Thanks guys.
The XiED will not fit your bike, yours will need the FL-XiED-10 or FL-ViED-10. You can see the details on each HERE. Either is a good choice for your situation.

If you would like to read an overview of the different popular options, and how they compare to each other, the following is a good thread-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...ing-etc-4.html

Thanks for considering our Outlaw A/C's for your ride, I think you'd be happy with one.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer

Thanks for the advice guys. My biggest thing is I don't want to do any damage to the bike, it may be just rumors but I have heard of people not doing the right tune setup and it damaging the bike. How? I don't know, I am still pretty new to the motorcycle mechanic scene. The pipes and air cleaner are going to be the only performance mods for quite some time. Depending on how things go down the road that could change. I am just a guy who enjoys riding, I don't race, lane split, ride fast or any of that. I use the power it has accelerating every now and then.

I just closed a deal on Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-2 pipes so those will be the pipes and most likely the DK Customs air cleaner. If I go with some like the Power Vision 2, do I then have to get it dyno tuned or are the "canned" tunes that will work just fine. Like I said earlier, I am not racing or anything and don't need to squeeze every pony out, I just want to do it the correct way so I'm not hurting the bike.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:00 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by 1dark883
Thanks for the advice guys. My biggest thing is I don't want to do any damage to the bike, it may be just rumors but I have heard of people not doing the right tune setup and it damaging the bike. How? I don't know, I am still pretty new to the motorcycle mechanic scene. The pipes and air cleaner are going to be the only performance mods for quite some time. Depending on how things go down the road that could change. I am just a guy who enjoys riding, I don't race, lane split, ride fast or any of that. I use the power it has accelerating every now and then.

I just closed a deal on Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-2 pipes so those will be the pipes and most likely the DK Customs air cleaner. If I go with some like the Power Vision 2, do I then have to get it dyno tuned or are the "canned" tunes that will work just fine. Like I said earlier, I am not racing or anything and don't need to squeeze every pony out, I just want to do it the correct way so I'm not hurting the bike.

Thanks guys.
There are very few bikes that suffer significant damage to the engine for any reason related to simple upgrades like free flowing pipes and free flowing air cleaners. If you use something as simple as an XiED product (see HERE) or as nice as a Power Vision (that will come with a canned tune for your set-up from Fuel Moto), you will not have engine failure because of any of those changes.

The biggest enemy of a healthy engine is excessive heat. Doing the above will not generate extra heat, instead, it will reduce the heat some.

You do NOT need to get it dyno tuned. That is one of the nice things about the Power Vision. It has a Very Easy to use "Autotune" feature.

Last edited by DK Custom; 03-05-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Need Help... Tuner Advice