Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help/advise removing rear rotor

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Justinh0822
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help/advise removing rear rotor

Any tips or tricks would be great, 2011 fxdb changing the wheels and I'm trying to get the back rotor off but I can't for the life of me get the bolts spinning, maybe I'm a little bitch but any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-27-2014, 08:37 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

The MoCo uses aircraft-strength threadlock on their bolts, which explains why they can be difficult to break loose. Some guys have heated up the rotor (not the bolts) to expand the screw hole a bit, but I just give the bolt heads a couple of hits with a hammer, then remove the screws with a 1/2" drive socket wrench. Be sure to use new bolts when re-installing the rotor.
~

Old 03-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinh0822
...maybe I'm a little bitch but any help would be greatly appreciated

Damn dude, don't be so hard on yourself, it's not like your Johnny Weir! Now I can see that ice skater having trouble but just smack 'em like O-Town said and show it who's the boss!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 PM
JonnyLew
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wonder if that aircraft grade **** is on the lower shock bolts too thaught the bolt was gonna break before i was done with it

show it whos boss justin!! your only a bitch if you let it make you feel that way haha..use a longer ratchet so you got some leverage

Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Stand the wheel upright and put the wrench in the 3 o'clock position bolt. Have the wrench positioned so you can push downward across the center of the wheel / axle hole. Hold the tire tight (with your legs) and push down HARD! It's all about leverage. You can always get a longer handled tool. Sometimes the Torque wrench (set to a higher torque than the bolt you are loosening) provides a good lever.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:17 PM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use an impact. Quick trigger pull usually gets them going, but I have broken a lot of T45's too... lol.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 PM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
Stand the wheel upright and put the wrench in the 3 o'clock position bolt. Have the wrench positioned so you can push downward across the center of the wheel / axle hole. Hold the tire tight (with your legs) and push down HARD! It's all about leverage. You can always get a longer handled tool. Sometimes the Torque wrench (set to a higher torque than the bolt you are loosening) provides a good lever.
I was always taught that you never use a Torque wrench to loosen fasteners.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmanontwowheels
I was always taught that you never use a Torque wrench to loosen fasteners.
Ditto.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Pass'n through
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a helluva time getting mine off and broke a T45 as well.. Ended up just use'n a propane torch and heating the head of the bolt and they came out with a standard length 3/8's ratchet...

Old 03-28-2014, 06:57 AM
Bushranger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O-Town D
The MoCo uses aircraft-strength threadlock on their bolts, which explains why they can be difficult to break loose. Some guys have heated up the rotor (not the bolts) to expand the screw hole a bit, but I just give the bolt heads a couple of hits with a hammer, then remove the screws with a 1/2" drive socket wrench. Be sure to use new bolts when re-installing the rotor.
~
Still trying to figure out if I want a critical bolt to come loose on my bike or in a plane, at least a plane can glide to a landing. Stupid rating when you think about it.

Quick Reply: Help/advise removing rear rotor