Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking noise on 07 Superglide

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 AM
slagger
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking noise on 07 Superglide

Hey guys,

About the middle of last years riding season I began to hear a loud squeaking sound seemingly coming from the rear end of my bike. From what I recall it never happened when I was accelerating only when coasting or at times when I was idling. Not a lot but here and there.

Near the end of last season I put my bike on my lift and fired it up to see if I could narrow it down. Even gave it a little throttle but didn't get any noise. The issue seems to only happen when there's weight on the bike.

I've recently purchased another bike (2008 Rocker C) but will be selling my Superglide to a good friend. I don't wanna screw him by selling him a bike that has an issue even if it isn't a major one. My Dyna has about 20,000KM (12,500M) on it.

Anyone have any suggestions I could check into. My next days off I plan on going for a little rip on it and seeing if I can narrow it down, but it's tough to confirm exactly where the sound is coming from. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:31 AM
Jlongshore
Tourer

That's a tough one. Maybe your shocks are squeaking as you ride? Or something rubbing together while you ride? Good luck with it. Hope you find the problem.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:43 AM
slagger
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jlongshore
That's a tough one. Maybe your shocks are squeaking as you ride? Or something rubbing together while you ride? Good luck with it. Hope you find the problem.

Thanks.

Yeah, since it only seemed to happen with me on it I thought shocks as well.

Just curious if there's anything I can give a quick shot of a lubricant and rule it out. It's quite intermittent though so something rubbing together doesn't seem right, I would think it would be a lot more frequent if that were the case.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:49 AM
Infinite_Day
Cruiser

You check the brakes?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:59 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

brakes first then maybe shocks

Old 03-30-2014, 07:12 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

My fatbob starting making same noise after it had 9000 miles on it . verify it was in the rear axle area, did it Constance when the wife was on the back . checked my belt adjustment felt loose went and bought belt tension gauge and measured adjustment with bike on jiffy stand. measured 7/16 readjusted belt tension to 5/16 made sure axle was straight and test drove noise was gone. if your belt tension is ok you better take a look at the rear axle bearings, test ride it and turn sharp back and forth small circles you should hear the noise change in tone in the rear of bike. the bearings are sealed and have probably become dry which is inhibiting the noise.

Last edited by target64; 03-30-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess would be to check the rear axle bearings.

Does the squeak increase in speed with the speed of the bike? If it does it could be the axle bearings.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:04 PM
slagger
4th Gear

Thanks for all the replies. Gives me a few starting points.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:22 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

First chack the brakes, then your belt tension then on a lift spin the wheel and listen for any vibrating or sandy noise. It won't be the axle: it doesn't move only the bearings turn. With those checked if you still come up empty your next area id the mainshaft. I hope you don't have to go there!