Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna wide glide rear tire rubbing wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 PM
superatmman
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna wide glide rear tire rubbing wiring.

I have a 2010 wide glide and I took the bike in for a 5k service and a front tire this week and I noticed the rear taillights were not working. I asked the service writer at Harley world in OKC to look at this and he called and said the rear tire had rubbed the wires bare. He said he would charge me one hour to repair and I said fine. I received a call later and he said no now it will be 3 hours+ to repair and I said that was bullshit and decided to look at the forums and found many people have experienced this issue! I then called the main Harley phone and spoke with them and they acted like they had not heard of this issue! I then explained that I had checked the forums and there is a bunch of folks with this issue and there should be a service bulletin or recall on these which went no where with the person I spoke with. He said he would call the dealership and see what he could do so low and behold 3 hours later I got a call from my service department and he said my bike was ready and waiting. When I walked through the door he came from behind the counter and said he was sorry and shook my hand. I then paid the bill and looking at the invoice there was no mention of this issue. If you have this problem they will fix it for free since they are scared that they will have to recall thousands of bikes!! I saw this issue is with bikes dating back into the 90s. I hope this helps with anyone having this problem and god bless!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:52 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Rear wires abraded

Originally Posted by superatmman
I have a 2010 wide glide and I took the bike in for a 5k service and a front tire this week and I noticed the rear taillights were not working. I asked the service writer at Harley world in OKC to look at this and he called and said the rear tire had rubbed the wires bare. He said he would charge me one hour to repair and I said fine. I received a call later and he said no now it will be 3 hours+ to repair and I said that was bullshit and decided to look at the forums and found many people have experienced this issue! I then called the main Harley phone and spoke with them and they acted like they had not heard of this issue! I then explained that I had checked the forums and there is a bunch of folks with this issue and there should be a service bulletin or recall on these which went no where with the person I spoke with. He said he would call the dealership and see what he could do so low and behold 3 hours later I got a call from my service department and he said my bike was ready and waiting. When I walked through the door he came from behind the counter and said he was sorry and shook my hand. I then paid the bill and looking at the invoice there was no mention of this issue. If you have this problem they will fix it for free since they are scared that they will have to recall thousands of bikes!! I saw this issue is with bikes dating back into the 90s. I hope this helps with anyone having this problem and god bless!
Had the same problem on my 2013 street bob. The wire run way is only a small plastic V shaped affair. It opens up and the wires fall out. I did the work myself. I cut out the abraded wire and re spliced new wire. Then I laid the wire in the V and then used tie wraps to hold the wire and compress the V run way. It was tough because I did not take off the rear wheel. So far its been about 5,000 miles and its held. I did both sides. If it occurs again I will contact the dealer and get a proper fix.
Thanks for the alert.
Roger

Old 04-04-2014, 03:28 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same issue with my 06. Easy fix with tire off but a mother with it on.