Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First mods to 2012 wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 AM
ElkAssassin
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First mods to 2012 wide glide

Bought my first Harley last week. I've been researching the options for the initial mods that i am going to do and wanted to get some input. The bike is black and i am going to go with the blacked ouit theme.
Pipes - Buddies say it sounds like a Honda and I couln't hear the engine over the wind noise. Does anyone recommend sometihng other than V&H? I hear that the short shots are pretty loud. I like the turned down look of the Big Radius 2 into 2 or 2 into 1, but buddies say I will be hated at any event with dust in the parking lot from turned down pipes. I have a 100 yd. gravel driveway also. Are there performance and sound differences with different V&H pipes?
Tuner - I want one that will accommodate multiple modifications w/o having it tuned at a shop if possible.
Intake - Is this just about your preference on looks or is there performance differences?
Bars - Looking into mini-apes. I am 6'1". How much rise - 16". Do you leave factory risers in place? What bars seem to have the right angles?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:46 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest the first thing to do is get rid of that Brick they call a Seat! Sounds like you have a pretty good plan for your Mod's.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:53 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

As far as pipes go, I went with Python Staggered duals. I really love them, had to have the tuner changed for that though.

Personally I prefer the stock seat. Never had any issue with it.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Vance and Hines makes a good quality product, but they are probably the most common pipes on the market. Decide on the style of pipe you want, then look at Python, Bub, D&D, Supertrapp, etc.

I've never heard people complain about down turned pipes. Just decide on what you want in style, then buy what you like.

Almost all aftermarket intakes do the same thing, so again, just go with the one that appeals to you. Look at DK Customs for good prices on great products.

If you want tuning options without the need for dyno tuning, the Power a Vision is the most complete and versatile unit. Look at FuelMoto because they provide excellent support after the sale.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:14 AM
f4stunter
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I also just got a 2012 Wide Glide. The first thing im changing is the rubber riser bushings. Seems to be common issue, them being worn out. Bike only has 4500 miles on it. I also don't like how quiet the stock exhaust is. There is a video on youtube to build your own baffles for stock pipes. Under the vid is a link to a detailed how to. I will be going this route at first.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkAssassin
Bought my first Harley last week. I've been researching the options for the initial mods that i am going to do and wanted to get some input. The bike is black and i am going to go with the blacked ouit theme.
Pipes - Buddies say it sounds like a Honda and I couln't hear the engine over the wind noise. Does anyone recommend sometihng other than V&H? I hear that the short shots are pretty loud. I like the turned down look of the Big Radius 2 into 2 or 2 into 1, but buddies say I will be hated at any event with dust in the parking lot from turned down pipes. I have a 100 yd. gravel driveway also. Are there performance and sound differences with different V&H pipes?
Tuner - I want one that will accommodate multiple modifications w/o having it tuned at a shop if possible.
Intake - Is this just about your preference on looks or is there performance differences?
Bars - Looking into mini-apes. I am 6'1". How much rise - 16". Do you leave factory risers in place? What bars seem to have the right angles?
Congrats on your first HD!

Pipes are a matter of preference in sound and look. 2-1 generally perform better. V&H tend to have a sharper higher tone. If you like em, but want a lower tone and a bump in low and mid range power, then you can use the Thunder Torque Inserts.

I don't think you can do better than a Power Vision, click HERE for details. It comes with "auto tune" and will easily adjust for an future mods.

There is a big difference in air cleaner performance...most feed the hot oily crankcase air back into the throttle body and combustion chamber, not only does this rob performance, it creates carbon build up and all the accompanying problems.

There are only a few companies making non-compromising Air Cleaners...ones that let ONLY clean air into the engine. Check out the OUTLAW A/C's HERE. Many different looks.

Picking bars that will be comfortable is one of the biggest challenges...it is different for everyone.

This is the way that has always worked for me to get the most comfortable handlebar position-

Sit on your bike
Have someone hold it up straight for you
Put your feet on the pegs
Close your eyes
Put your hands out to where it is most comfortable to hold them
Open your eyes...where ever your hands are, that is where you want the handlebar grips to be.

With this information you can adjust your existing handlebars or visit a trusted vendor to get some bars that put the grips where You need them for max comfort.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-17-2014, 01:51 PM
ElkAssassin
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the input guys. Some new manufacturers to me were noted so i will look into them. These forums are great. I have contributed on others that i was knowledgeable about, but I'm a newbie here.