Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 FXR what do I need to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:26 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2000 FXDL what do I need to look for?

Shopping for a new ride after my Sporty got smoked by an a$$hat making a left turn, and currently my first choice is a 2000 Dyna, the one pictured below in particular. Has 30,000 km and a 5 speed, carbed. I'm not very familiar with the BTs so I guess I could use some suggestions on what I need to look for. Do I need to worry about cam chain tensioners? Any 'quirks' I should know about this model? It's listed as a Low Rider... is that in fact what it is?

Your input is appreciated!

Last edited by John_K; 04-20-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: change from FXR to FXDL
Old 04-20-2014, 06:33 PM
fordaith
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, FXDL.

Cam tensioners are your biggest concern, and probably only concern

Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

If the tensioners have not at least been looked at, then yes, do so before buying. It can be expensive to have done. If you can wrench then no big deal. Bottom end of the 2000 TC is pretty much bulletproof. Check it like you'd check a used car, only more so. Tires, fluids, etc. Nice looking bike.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 PM
John_K
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fordaith
Yep, FXDL.

Thanks for the clarification! What's the diff from a Low Rider to say a Superglide? Suspension?

Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fordaith
Yep, FXDL.

What he said.

...are those straight shots? Sound should be good too! It seems your unfortunate accident has become a blessing in disguise.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 PM
John_K
Road Captain

Originally Posted by QC
If the tensioners have not at least been looked at, then yes, do so before buying. It can be expensive to have done. If you can wrench then no big deal. Bottom end of the 2000 TC is pretty much bulletproof. Check it like you'd check a used car, only more so. Tires, fluids, etc. Nice looking bike.
Not worried about the wrenching, second nature to me. Helped my neighbour check his tensioners on his SG last year so I'm familiar with the process. What options are available as a 'fix' ? I've read about gear drives and roller chains, anything else?

Old 04-20-2014, 06:49 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can switch the '07-up style cam chest, but it'll cost ya...part number for the kit is 25284-11 + cams and other things. There's plenty of threads for reference.

A cheaper alternative is to use Cyco tensioner shoes (I'll be doing that in a few weeks)

Gear drive is the best way because you get rid of the tensioning system altogether, but you need to have practically 0 runout on your crank amongst other requirements...

Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 PM
John_K
Road Captain

Pipes are V&H yeah I'm really looking forward to seeing this bike... gotta wait for the payout cheque! I'll be on crutches for the next month with an ankle fracture and ligaments and likely until July before I'm anywhere near ready to put some normal weight on it.

A nice bike in the stable would make me feel a lot better about this whole mess!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

difference between a low rider and superglide, the low rider has a 32 degree neck superglide has 28, low rider has a speedo and tach on the tank , superglide has speedo on bars, low rider has black and chrome engine, superglide has grey and polished aluminum engine, low rider has dual front discs and superglide single front disc brake.

Those are the big difference

Welcome from Ontario , Ottawa

Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 PM
John_K
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
difference between a low rider and superglide, the low rider has a 32 degree neck superglide has 28, low rider has a speedo and tach on the tank , superglide has speedo on bars, low rider has black and chrome engine, superglide has grey and polished aluminum engine, low rider has dual front discs and superglide single front disc brake.

Those are the big difference

Welcome from Ontario , Ottawa
I assumed the frames were all the same, very important info thanks! I noticed the twin rotors up front as well, a nice bonus. I like the blacked out engine, similar to my XL1200C and I was surprised how much that meant to me when looking at bikes.

Quick Reply: 2000 FXR what do I need to look for?