Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy Bar education

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 PM
kreeess
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sissy Bar education

can you guys educate a young fella on the difference between a rigid sissy bar and detachable ones... I am looking in to getting one but not sure which one to look for. what are the benefits of each one and how hard is install for different ones. pictures would be much appreciated thanks !

Old 04-25-2014, 12:26 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I'll leave the "how hard is it?" Question to they guys that have more experience.

As far as the difference, I'll try to describe it.

A hard mount, or rigid mount sissy bar blots directly to the struts. Some can be bolted between the fender and the strut, while others bolt onto the outside of the strut. Regardless, they pick up the bolts that already exist (or come with longer bolts.) typically, these don't get in the way of installing bags and you can typically use your stock turn signals. Only four bolts are used, so it doesn't take more than an hour or two (rough guess.)

Detachable work very similar, but you first have to replace the fender bolts with a special bolt and bushing. The bushing sits on the outside of the strut under the bolt head. The sissy bar side-plates have slots and a small spring loaded catch. Once you've installed the bolt/bushing, the side plate simply slides over the bushing at each hole and the spring loaded latch retains the position.

(Side plates are part of the assembly, the bar itself connects to each side plate.)

Old 04-25-2014, 12:34 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

This is an example of a fixed or hard mount sissy bar. Notice how the holes are not slotted. The lower flanges bolt directly between the strut and fender. This version also uses side plates so you can use different bar styles.

This one is a detachable type. Notice how the front hole is actually an open slot, and the back hole has a latch on it. This doesn't show the bushings, but the slot and latched holes rely on the bushings you would hard mount to the struts.

I should point out, the detachable style creates issues with installing bags, and they require special parts to keep your turn signals in the stock location. Bag makers usually have special pieces that allow you to use bags with detachable backrests, you just need to be aware if the required parts.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:16 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SLV
This is an example of a fixed or hard mount sissy bar. Notice how the holes are not slotted. The lower flanges bolt directly between the strut and fender. This version also uses side plates so you can use different bar styles.

This one is a detachable type. Notice how the front hole is actually an open slot, and the back hole has a latch on it. This doesn't show the bushings, but the slot and latched holes rely on the bushings you would hard mount to the struts.

I should point out, the detachable style creates issues with installing bags, and they require special parts to keep your turn signals in the stock location. Bag makers usually have special pieces that allow you to use bags with detachable backrests, you just need to be aware if the required parts.

thanks you for the very detailed response, Im leaning toward the hard mount since theres less things to move around and it seems that its a lot easier in the pockets, seems pretty easy as bolting off some screws and bolting new ones for the hard mounts, is there anything special that needs done to install them?

Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

If you plan on leaving it on all the time, hard mount the puppy, if you do as I do and switch between my 1-up & 2-up seat - detachable is the way to go.
The rigid mount might come with longer mounting hardware - the detachable one - you will need to buy the additional hardware.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:55 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JMC22
If you plan on leaving it on all the time, hard mount the puppy, if you do as I do and switch between my 1-up & 2-up seat - detachable is the way to go.
The rigid mount might come with longer mounting hardware - the detachable one - you will need to buy the additional hardware.

since you have the detach mount, what exactly is needed and how hard was install, and the cost for all the parts?

I dont really mind having the sissy on with a solo saddle, but just having the option of taking it off is pretty cool too.. been looking at some ginz sissy bars but I was confused with the parts I needed lol thats why I turned to HDforum!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeess
thanks you for the very detailed response, Im leaning toward the hard mount since theres less things to move around and it seems that its a lot easier in the pockets, seems pretty easy as bolting off some screws and bolting new ones for the hard mounts, is there anything special that needs done to install them?
I made the mistake of getting the hard-mount sissy bar.

Cost me some bucks when I decided I wanted to put a solo seat on my SG.

I don't like riding two-up. Never have, never will. But sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do... If you get my drift

So I kept my Danny Grey Weekday gel seat, got it in a plastic trash bag in the closet.

So when the War Department demands a ride, I can take my Danny Gray gel Buttcrack Solo off and put the Weekday on, along with the sissy bar and we're ready to go in minutes.

As soon as I get home, it all comes off and my Solo goes back on.

If you are absolutely, 100% certain that you will never, ever want to change the look and style of your bike....? Do what you will.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ridged mount one that I slotted the holes on....it works just fine....no need to buy that BS detachable hardware

Old 04-25-2014, 03:12 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by thedonthere
I have a ridged mount one that I slotted the holes on....it works just fine....no need to buy that BS detachable hardware
How does the slotted holes work do u have pics

Old 04-25-2014, 04:22 PM
jangler14
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear that the locking mechanism on the Jardine detachable backrests are better than all the others out there. Though I don't see many out there on Harleys.
http://www.jardineproducts.com/index...ck-detach.html

Quick Reply: Sissy Bar education