Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Wideglide starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 AM
MyWar666
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Wideglide starting issue

2 days ago i was installing a lowbrow starter key switch on my 2001 wide glide. It worked for an hour while i was still working on mounting it, but during that time i accidently grounded the live oil sensor wire. Then it wouldn't crank, i replaced the starter relay and the circuit breaker and checked all the fuses in hopes that it would fix the issue, but it didn't. I applied power directly to the starter solenoid and it cranked, so i know thats good. I tested the wires on the key ignition and the red and red/grey are getting power but the red/black one isn't. Therefor when i touch the two wires to start the bike, i get nothing.

Im beginning to think that when the wire grounded it shorted or locked the tssm system somehow. I don't have blinkers, blinker switches, or the stock speedo to reset it though. damn, i have no idea.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of fixing this? PLEASE!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MyWar666
2 days ago i was installing a lowbrow starter key switch on my 2001 wide glide. It worked for an hour while i was still working on mounting it, but during that time i accidently grounded the live oil sensor wire. Then it wouldn't crank, i replaced the starter relay and the circuit breaker and checked all the fuses in hopes that it would fix the issue, but it didn't. I applied power directly to the starter solenoid and it cranked, so i know thats good. I tested the wires on the key ignition and the red and red/grey are getting power but the red/black one isn't. Therefor when i touch the two wires to start the bike, i get nothing.

Im beginning to think that when the wire grounded it shorted or locked the tssm system somehow. I don't have blinkers, blinker switches, or the stock speedo to reset it though. damn, i have no idea.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of fixing this? PLEASE!

I'm scratching my head on this. No answer for you but I have some time and I'm scrapping the web and asking some buds. I'm trying to see if there is a reset with out signals or speedo and also if the oil sensor is the culprit (almost like a fail safe - no oil no start).
If I get anything more I'll let you know.

George

Old 05-02-2014, 11:02 AM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain

Check out this post - about 7 or 8 posts in.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...m-trouble.html

Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM
MyWar666
Novice

Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Check out this post - about 7 or 8 posts in.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...m-trouble.html
I dont have a FOB. when i got the bike it was just engine and frame from a REPO dealer a few years ago. All the wires were cut, so i had to put all new igniton switch in, ect.. It worked perfectly fine until i decided that i wanted a key start. Is there anyway to test to see if my tssm is actually the reason that my starter isn't getting any power?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:27 PM
MyWar666
Novice

Should i buy a new TSSM and see if that fixes the problem?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:49 PM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain

I thought that post was about removing it from the chain of events and then the bike will start. maybe I read it wrong but this is what the poster says (post #10)...

*I don't know if the newer TTSM systems install the same way as the old ones did . On the old ones you could take out the module on the bike in under 30 + seconds and hot wire it and ride it away in no time with out the key. Or just use the key and start the thing. "

George