Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSSM trouble?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:41 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default TSSM trouble?????

I have tried the search!!!!! Many with close problem,just not the same symptoms.
OK, went out to leave this morning, the alarm system went off,lights flashed, all the good crap. The starter will not engage, the turn signals will not activate as they are in the flash mode at all times. They little key light stays lit up solid while key is in the on position.
First thing I tried was the extra Fob...no help, both Fobs....no help. Had replace Fob battery last year in main Fob that I use, so went and replace both batteries. Used OHM meter to check all fuses,inspected battery cable connections,removed TSSM and inspected all pins and cavities. No connection problem found.
The fuel pump cycles,check engine light comes on. Used gauge button to check for any DTC's none in system. Reconnected to TTS and used it to check for any codes....no codes. Used the owners manual and a few instructions in different threads I read. Unable to get the dash to display my code in the system. Do the on-off-on-off-on, 3 left t/s,1 right t/s....dash goes back to odometer reading. Tried to install new code...no way.
Is there any way of checking the TSSM ? I just hate the thought of putting it on a trailer and not go to some ralley...hahah It would be about a 20mile push to the nearest dealer. I'm too old and too lazy to push it that far.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:45 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not the Mercury switch (not sure if I have that right) at the bottom is it I think its for when you tip over the bike? I have heard people having issues with this but I believ its a simple reset, google it.

If not reflash to stock then reflash your map I couldn,t see it being a issue with TTS as that system is sound,

Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the KILL switch in the RUN position? If you replaced the batteries in the FOB, that's the first step, when the lights flash constantly, as you mentioned, that's a sign of a bad FOB battery. Then I'd disconnect the battery and let stand a few minutes so it resets the computer, then try it. If that doesn't do it, have you tried re setting the TSSM? The procedure should be in the owners manual.

Last edited by BlockHead96; 06-28-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 AM
dyna105
Road Master

ShaDow, thanks will check into that. I'm thinking that is part of the tssm, than again there is another modular that is connected to it directly under the seat. The TTS seems to be doing its part. It sees the Ecm, which map that is installed.

Last edited by dyna105; 06-28-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:59 AM
dyna105
Road Master

BlockHead96, Done some researching on that last night. I will be trying it again today.Hoping that I may not be doing the switches fast enough. I had tried several times with the bar switch in both positions, as in some of the procedures the manual wold say where to put the switch and some they made no reference to it.

Thank You for your service. Keep your head down and come home safe.

Last edited by dyna105; 06-28-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Try this procedure.

RESETTING LATER MODEL OEM MODULES
If after installing the Load Equalizer III (or the Illuminator with the Load
Equalizer III built-in), you are still getting 2-3 normal flashes and then rapid
flash, and if your bike does not seem to respond as indicated to the procedure
detailed on the “FOR 2001 AND UP HARLEY-DAVIDSONS WITH TSSM SECURITY
MODULE” instructions, you likely have one of the later generation TSM/TSSM or
HFSM modules. For these later bikes, approximately 2005 and up, try the
following simpler procedure instead:
Step #1: Pull your Maxi-fuse, killing all the power to the bike. Go grab a cold
one, or otherwise kill 10 minutes.
Step #2: Wipe the froth from your lip and replace the Maxi-fuse, returning the
power to the bike.
Step #3: Turn the ignition switch to on, and then activate your 4-way emergency
flashers. (Press and hold both turn signal buttons until all four turn signals flash.)
Let the 4-ways run for 10 seconds or so, then cancel.
Step #4: Activate your left turn signal. Let it flash for 10 seconds, then cancel.
Step #5: Activate your right turn signal. Let it flash for 10 seconds, then cancel.
Step #6: Turn off your ignition, wait a minute or so. You should be all set!
Note: If you see normal operation with the key on but the bike not running, but
then see rapid flashing with the bike running, you probably have a weak battery.
Have your battery load checked and replace if necessary. If you still have the
issue after replacing the battery, repeat the above six steps, only this time at the
beginning of Step #3, start the bike. This will allow the TSM/TSSM/HFSM and
Load Equalizer III to synchronize to the higher voltage engine-running condition.

The following users liked this post:
simonizr (03-01-2018)
Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM
dyna105
Road Master

Blockhead, Thank you for all the help. Had a hard time getting past step1. After about the 4th try just said fck,,it. I loaded it up took it to the dealer. He called this morning at work. Advised me I had won the dumb *** of the year award. The TSSM is fine.
The fob that I carry on my work keys, must have went dead since the last time I had ridden on Sat. 1) dumb *** move do not lay you fob on your cell phone. The spare fob that has been hanging on the wall since new, must of had dead battery. Like I said I went and got new batteries. Remove the cover on my carry fob,the battery fell out. Removed cover on the spare fob, again when opening it the battery came loose. 2) Be damn sure which way the battery is installed in the fob. RTFM!!!!!
The dealer was cool about it. Said for giving them a good laugh to start a day.NO CHARGE!!!!!!! Seems cool to me since they had just took over last month. The dealer has owned the Honda dealer for as long as I can remember.
Again Thank You!!!! Be safe over there...get home and we ever meet the frist few beers be on me.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

As I mentioned above in the other post, when you see your lights flash the way they did, that is the indicator the battery in the FOB is going, or dead. Another thing to keep in the back of your mind, when one FOB is bad, change the batteries in both, at the same time. A lot of people overlook their Security Systems when their bike won't start and don't pay attention to their lights flashing the way they do. Hey, it could have been worse,$$$$$$$.

Last year when I was at Street Vibrations in Virginia City, I watched this guy come out of the bar and get on his bike. He couldn't get it started. As me and a buddy were walking to our bikes, this guy started to push start his. We got on our bikes, drove up the hill where this guy was still trying to get his started and asked him what was up, he said he couldn't get it started. Asked him what year it was and asked him if the kill switch was on RUN, he said yes, then I asked him if he had the security system, he said yes, then I asked him if he had his FOB on him? I got the deer in the headlight look.(that's what a couple beers will do sometimes) His buddies were standing on the balcony of the bar, overlooking the street and laughing their *** off. They tossed him the rest of his keys over the rail that had his FOB connected. This poor guy was out of breath trying to push start his 600lb bike. Now with FOB in hand, It started...

We tend to overlook the FOB and I'm the first to admit, it's a PITA, I'd like to disconnect mine. If your on the road somewhere and that battery takes a ****, your SOL and better hope some kind of a store is around that has a battery. The same goes if you're away from home and you lose that FOB, you trip is done!

What's good about your experience, you will now remember about your security system and how the flashing lights are the indicator. You will get the same flashing lights result, when the FOB isn't near or by the bike, move the bike and they flash like a Christmas Tree.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 PM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But remember that you can always bypass your fob if the battery is dead in it you would have to do it every time you start the bike

Old 06-29-2011, 10:44 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know if the newer TTSM systems install the same way as the old ones did . On the old ones you could take out the module on the bike in under 30 + seconds and hot wire it and ride it away in no time with out the key. Or just use the key and start the thing.

I use a disk brake lock with an alarm when I travel. Never had a problem with it. I chose not to get the security system on my new bike once I knew how easy they were to disable. I figure bike thieves probably know this too.

Quick Reply: TSSM trouble?????