Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder Beach 2014

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:02 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Thunder Beach 2014

Hello, finally having some good weather in Panama City. We rode down Wednesday (about 315 miles). The bike ran great other than on the way down it poured on us for about 50 miles. I have a DK customs outlaw air cleaned and a outwears filter but it obviously couldn't keep water out. The bike spit and sputtered a few times. Also, at our last gas stop I put in some new fuel treatment/octaine booster. Yesterday at about a 1/4 tank of gas the bike started sputtering and wouldn't stay running. It would crank, rev, sputter and pop then die. It did this 6 times so I let it sit for 5 minutes. I cranked it again but held it at 2500 rpm. The bike sounded horrible for a minute then smoothed out and is running fine. I immediately went and filled it up with Shell 93 gas. I am guessing bad gas, octane buster or something similar.

The rear bag on the bike got wet and sagged down on the rear fender paint. It rubbed it pretty bad and the sand down here scratches everything. So, i am thinking of making the bike a rat bike style or putting a few stickers over the scratches... We will see...

Old 05-03-2014, 09:29 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like fun, except for the sputtering part.

You should know, octane boosters are mostly snake oil and will not clean anything, increase performance or fuel economy. I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere near my engine.

There are a few that will very slightly raise the octane level, but barely and at a higher cost than the more expensive fuel.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:50 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SLV
Sounds like fun, except for the sputtering part.

You should know, octane boosters are mostly snake oil and will not clean anything, increase performance or fuel economy. I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere near my engine.

There are a few that will very slightly raise the octane level, but barely and at a higher cost than the more expensive fuel.
Lesson learned....

I just tried cranking it again this morning after sitting all night. The fuel pump sounded weird when i switched it on. Bike did the same thing sputtering and popping. I held it at a higher rpm for a bit. Sounded horrible but smoothed out. Now cranks right up like normal.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:02 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Riding through rain without a windscreen is nasty...BTDT

It sounds like you might have water in the fuel...sitting overnight allows the water to settle in the bottom of the tank where it is being picked up by the pump...might try to drain the tank and fill it up with some good gas...

Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skinman13

It sounds like you might have water in the fuel...sitting overnight allows the water to settle in the bottom of the tank where it is being picked up by the pump...might try to drain the tank and fill it up with some good gas...
Thank you, draining is not an option right now. I filled up last night so hopefully getting out and riding will get it out.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:26 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Depending on how much water is in the tank, you might try adding a pint or so of 91% isopropyl alcohol (common rubbing alcohol)...it will bind with the water and burn off...

Old 05-03-2014, 10:58 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skinman13

It sounds like you might have water in the fuel...sitting overnight allows the water to settle in the bottom of the tank where it is being picked up by the pump...might try qqqqqqqqqqaaàqaaaaaaÀ drain the tank and fill it up with some good gas...
Thank you, draining is not an option right now. I filled up last night so hopefully getting out and riding will get it out??

Old 05-05-2014, 03:31 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Just wanted to give an update. The bike acted up a few more times while down there but it did get me home (300 miles). I ran 3 tanks of gas through it since the initial incident and it still didn't feel like it was running 100%.

With ALOT of help from forum member Ke5rbd I was able to pin point the issue (I think). He said it did not sound like a fuel issue but something to do with spark. I unplugged a few electrical plugs he suggested looking for moisture. The factory plugs looked good with no visible moisture in them. I installed a DK customs coil relocation kit on the bike which moves the coil to the horn location using a plug n play extension wire. I unplugged the main HD plug and the DK extension wire and there were water droplets visible in the plug and the rubber seal was wet. This was after multiple days of sun and hard riding so I couldn't imagine how wet it was while raining. This has me re thinking the coil relocation. I will probable put it back in the stock spot. I was watching it while idling in traffic and it shakes pretty bad in the horn location. Also wanted to give a huge thanks to Ke5rbd!!! He has helped me on so many issues...