Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forks fixed/HD Dealership review

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Forks fixed/HD Dealership review

So my previous post was about a fork seal leak. I didnt really have a choice in doing the work myself, didnt have a jack at my temporary residence. So I dropped it off at Sweetwater HD is San Diego. I told them if the other fork looked like it needed to be done to go ahead and do that also.

I dropped off and picked up today which was great because I have a ride to do tomorrow. They ended up doing both sides. Sucks not knowing whether the other side really needed be done or.... Regardless I guess I have piece of mind now. I also picked up some brake pads and installed those myself when I got the bike back home.

The guys at Sweetwater were very cool and easy to talk to. I chatted with the guy who wrote my order up for quite a while. When I went to pick the bike up they were actually giving it a quick wash. Its not like they detailed it or anything, but it definitely looked better than when I dropped it off!

I have been to this place a few times to pick up parts and oil and as a starting point for a couple of poker runs. Everyone is always friendly and on the weekends (even open on Sunday) they have a grill with dogs and burgers out in front.

This was the first time I took my bike in for work and I was really nervous based on all the horror stories I have read before. But all in all I was impressed with this place and if in the future if I absolutely can not do the work myself I would be ok with bringing it here.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:34 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

its common practice to replace both fork seals when you blow one out. Don't know why its done that way but every bike mechanic I have asked about it has told me to do both at once when one is bad.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:43 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

It's nice to have confidence in a shop. Glad you got it sorted out.

Originally Posted by missedem
its common practice to replace both fork seals when you blow one out. Don't know why its done that way but every bike mechanic I have asked about it has told me to do both at once when one is bad.
It's like the law of radiator hoses. If you only replace one, the other will now see higher pressure and blow. I don't know if it's true for fork seals, but I've always done it that way. It's a rule that was handed down to me from old school racers.