Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Low Rider + Dakota Digital

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:01 PM
el_chupo_
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Low Rider + Dakota Digital

I have an 06 Low Rider with dual gauges on the tank. I would like to switch the console and go to the Dakota digital.

The instructions on the Dakota site state:

MOUNTING

The gauge will mount using the original housing, grommet, and screws. Unbolt the two screws from the back plate at the back of the gauge housing, then unplug the factory gauge, noting the position of the grommets. There is one grommet on the front between the gauge and housing and one on the back between the housing and the back plate. Install the Dakota Digital gauge in reverse order installing grommets and then plugging into the factory plug and securing with the two screws.

Has anyone done this with the dual gauge setup, and if so, is there anything complicated with getting the wiring set up? Any kind of plug I need to order and then combine the two, or something like that?

Thanks.

Matt

Old 05-08-2014, 01:05 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you saying that the Dakota Digital gauge performs both the speedo and the tach functions with one gauge so you're trying to combine the wiring from the seperate speedo and tach on your lowrider into the one Dakota Digital gauge?

Old 05-08-2014, 01:28 PM
el_chupo_
Intermediate

Yes, exactly. I like having a tach, but I like the single gauge, and this gives both (with some other features). Just not sure how the wiring would work out.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd684.htm

Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 PM
el_chupo_
Intermediate

bump for info

Old 05-10-2014, 10:11 PM
el_chupo_
Intermediate

bump.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Not 100% on bikes with dual gauges but I have the Dakota on my street bob (which does not come with a factory tach) and all was plug in and automatically picks up the signal for the rpms, head temp, volts, fuel left, gear indicator, plus bunch of other sh?t! It's freaking awesome. I could only assume it will automatically pick this up as well when you plug it into your but then you will still have you factory rpm gauge below.

....also when you get it brand new you will have the first 100 miles (I think) to enter the milage of your bike which then pops a relay and sets that milage onto your Dakota.....if you find it used you can send your garage into Dakota to get your milage rest for $25.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:23 PM
el_chupo_
Intermediate

Thanks HD Bobber. If I make the switch I will be throwing on a Street Bob console for a single gauge, moving the indicator light panel down from the bars to the spot under the speedo like on your bike. I am hoping someone has made the switch, and know if I need to go to the dealer or check online for a different adapter plug, or if I will need to rewire a plug to get all the correct wiring into a single plug.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:27 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

A deal can print out a view of both types of consoles, which will give your answer. I would think the extra plug would just be taped up and left alone.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:37 AM
stewbeezer
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can go here and see the difference between the two models.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....-LOW-RIDER-(GN)

Old 05-13-2014, 11:01 AM
el_chupo_
Intermediate

Thanks HD bobber and Stew!

Found this

So only difference is the extra plug, and the difference is part number 29 vs 30 (same plug, different color).

Unfortunately, the wiring harness diagram they have listed does not show the plug. I am guessing its a matter of moving that pin from the second plug (to the tach), and putting it into a spot on the speedo plug, and then plugging that into the Dakota gauge, but bumping in case someone has made this change. If it is as simple as leaving the tach plug disconnected, I am sure I can zip tie it up and tuck it away.

Quick Reply: Dyna Low Rider + Dakota Digital