Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb dripping fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:14 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Carb dripping fuel

The more I learn about the hypercharger on my WG the less I like it. After a ride yesterday I saw fuel had been dripping on engine case. Bottom of carb was wet. I thought well maybe it's just a gasket. Did a quick search and found the float o ring gasket could be the culprit. Looks to be the largest gasket on bottom of carb where it appears to be comming from. I wasn't so sure about it so began reading about hypercharger complications and found the kuryakyn instructions. Apparently the instructions say running drag pipes or performance straight thru exhaust can cause this while using a hypercharger. I have streaming eage II slip ons with no baffles so exhaust is pretty much straight thru. I can't figure out why it would cause fuel leakage. The hypercharger is going in the trash soon and replacing with a screaming eagle air cleaner of some sort.

So what do you guys think? I'm going to tear into it today maybe and find out for sure. I kinda hope the hypercharger is the problem so I don't have to tear the carb apart and start replacing gaskets. I just can't figure out why straight pipes would cause the carb to leak with a hypercharger?

Old 05-11-2014, 09:56 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

My old FXR had a 'vent' hose attached to the carb that exited down at the bottom of the frame. If your hose is missing that might explain the 'drippage' you are seeing at the bottom of your carb. Or, it could be your gaskets need replacing/float needs adjustment. Not very likely the pipes/AC are the cause of your problem. Hope you get it worked out.
~

Old 05-11-2014, 10:18 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

He is correct. If your vent tube is off that would be my first guess. If you have drag pipes and the gas is coming from your filter it is the drag pipes causing it. I assume you have a cv carb. The hole under the float valve gets gummed up and needs to be cleaned from time to time causing leaking gas. The other cause could be a gummed up peacock that is not fully closing when you shut the gas off.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:20 AM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might want to take a real close look at that 'leak'

if it's your float valve sticking open then the bowl may be overflowing... and fuel is leaking through your intake right into the engine, past the rings and down into the crankcase to dilute your oil.

Check your engine oil, if it smells like gasoline then you likely have this problem. Helped a buddy fix this exact issue last season.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:31 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master

Thanks for replies. It idles and runs perfectly. I assumed a flooding issue lik described would cause some issues with it running wrong. Runs smooth with no surging or sputtering in any rpm range. I'll check that hose and go from there.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

most likely the bowl gasket

Last edited by Robtarra39; 05-11-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master

Well I didn't have much time to fool with it today but....

I notice it doesn't leak when bike is leaned on kickstand. Doesn't leak when turned off even with fuel On. Only leaks when bike is running and standing upright. I started it and ran for 5 mins while leaned against kickstand and no leak period. Got on it and stood bike up and it started dripping out of the bottom somewhere. I think I'm going to just take it in somewhere to get fixed right. I'm getting frustrated with it and just want it fixed so I can enjoy riding some before wrenching on it. Takes time to get familiar with everything and I'm just not ready or comfortable tearing into a carb right now

Old 05-12-2014, 01:31 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What the instructions might have been talking about about is the stand-off cloud of fuel vapour you can get from a carb with some exhaust/cam combinations. Often explained as caused by open pipes with no back pressure causing reversion.

You'll find youtube videos showing this as a jet of fuel vapour shooting out the mouth of the carb as you blip the throttle.

This cloud hits the inside of the air cleaner and the fuels ends up dripping out.

Some air cleaners are more prone to the effects of this than others.